• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to plug a barrel for immersion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Coming up on my underhammer project will be a hot rust blue treatment for the metals. I have never immersed a barrel in boiling water and want to make sure my plugs and precautions will be 100% effective against water entering the bore. I am thinking about using a rubber cork for the barrel ends and also for the nipple placement. The fact that the bore has rifling, and the nipple has threads makes me concerned about getting a total seal. What is the best material to add to the rubber cork to complete the seal? I am thinking maybe pipe dope? Am I starting with the wrong material? What is the best way to go? :dunno:
Thanks in advance
Larry

We have never plugged one and never had a problem. Make sure the bore is well oiled and clean immediately after it comes out. If you already have it plugged proceed and don’t overthink it.

Coming up on my underhammer project will be a hot rust blue treatment for the metals. I have never immersed a barrel in boiling water and want to make sure my plugs and precautions will be 100% effective against water entering the bore. I am thinking about using a rubber cork for the barrel ends and also for the nipple placement. The fact that the bore has rifling, and the nipple has threads makes me concerned about getting a total seal. What is the best material to add to the rubber cork to complete the seal? I am thinking maybe pipe dope? Am I starting with the wrong material? What is the best way to go? :dunno:
Thanks in advance
Larry
I use a piece of wood dowel (or square stock, whatever I happen to have on hand) carved to a conical flat point on one end. I do the same for the touch hole/nipple hole only smaller (obviously). With the muzzle plug just tap it in with a mallet, with the touch/nipple hole I screw it in after removing the nipple or liner.

Water will not hurt the bore. Don't try to plug it. The heat will expand the air, pop the cork and splash boiling water.

Don't put a bunch of oil in the bore. The oil will come out into the water and and spoil the bluing. Just clean and oil the bore after.

I have read about putting lacquer in the bore. IT can be easily removed with lacquer thinner. I have never bothered. It would not hurt though.

Try one of those rubber wine corks with a cam on the end. When you cam it down, the rubber compresses and expands. It seems that wine bottles are about a 71 caliber.

You could make one yourself by drilling through your (sub caliber) rubber cork, putting a 1/4" threaded rod through it, a washer on each end, and then a nut on each end. You could even double-nut the bore side or Loctite it. Twist down on the nut (on the muzzle side) and the rubber will compress and expand to give you a good seal.

Last edited:
The heat will expand the air, pop the cork and splash boiling water.

This WILL happen and you will get water in the barrel anyways. I have rustblued several barrels, both muzzleloader and unmentionables, and never had a problem. The black oxide, even if some develops in the bore, doesn't affect accuracy. After the last boil and carding my barrels go directly, still hot, into a motor oil bath for a day or two. A thorough cleaning afterwards and they are good to go...

As Scota@4570 said don't waste your time trying to plug the bore. I've rust blued many barrels plugged and unplugged and no harm has become to the unplugged barrels. Think of it as just cleaning your barrel after a days shooting - just dry it good
64 Barrel.JPG

I've never plugged a barrel for rust bluing. I give it a good coat of car wax and suspend the barrel from a piece of cold rolled rod. Never had a problem. I do run a patch down the bore to dry it fast after I take it out of the boil.

Water will not hurt the bore. Don't try to plug it. The heat will expand the air, pop the cork and splash boiling water.

Don't put a bunch of oil in the bore. The oil will come out into the water and and spoil the bluing. Just clean and oil the bore after.

I have read about putting lacquer in the bore. IT can be easily removed with lacquer thinner. I have never bothered. It would not hurt though.
Thanks for the great advice! I know heat causes expansion, but had my head in the sand about that fact. I am not concerned about the water, cuz most of us clean with water. I was (not now) more concerned with the rust bluing chemical getting into the bore, breech and nipple areas.
Thanks again

As Scota@4570 said don't waste your time trying to plug the bore. I've rust blued many barrels plugged and unplugged and no harm has become to the unplugged barrels. Think of it as just cleaning your barrel after a days shooting - just dry it good
.View attachment 72166
Nice way to do the hot dunk! May I ask if there is a Mrs who permits this?? 😂

I’ve used foam earplugs to plug appropriately sized holes with good success.

A large bored muzzleloader they probably wouldn’t work on.

Is this a joke??

No. The sand would displace any air that might expand and force a plug out of the barrel while in the hot bath. Likewise any other fine medium could be used like walnut blast media or similar. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back