• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best way to go about it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarnesRowan

40 Cal
Reaction score
It has been a while scence I have built a gun and I am itching to get bact on it. I am going to do a fowler. Should I build from a kit or from a blank. I have only built two kits and loved every second of it. But I only have tools to sute that need. However I eventually want to build a gun from a blank and learn how to competely stock long guns.

What is your advice.

I've built two kits, a chambers and a TVM, and I am building from a blank now . . all three with a coach. . . you will learn a lot from a blank, but I prefer a pre carve kit at my level of experience. A blank is a lot more work. . . and requires a lot more setup and precision . . there are some advantages to a blank, so many will disagree, but a "good" kit is easier in my opinion. ( I will say though that taking a blank and picking a pattern for the style is pretty rewarding. . . but there are a lot of styles available from - for example - pecatonica river.)

Sounds to me like a good kit is in your future :thumb: Get a few more kits done and then think about building from a plank. You will also need some more equipment to do a rifle from a plank.

Building from a blank will take longer, but it is easier. Yes, it is easier. If that is the way that you want to go eventually, why not start now. Don't worry about tools. You will NEVER have all the tools that you need no matter how many you have. You started building from kits without enough tools. It is the same for blanks.

If you start from a blank, a bandsaw makes the start a lot easier. I used a Skillsaw on my first blank build and then bought a bandsaw for the 2nd.....Fred

Back