• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best way to fix a chipped stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

As the tread says, I dropped my stock and knocked off a 1/4 " at its deepest by 3/4" at the longest point piece from the toe of the stock. Ive got regular carpenter glue on it right now but Im wondering if I should also drill a very fine hole and pin this piece also? Should I consider a new stock?
Thanks

If you can put the broken off piece back and the fit is okay- I'd just glue it in place. If you don't have a toe plate then maybe add that- folks will look at the toe plate and never notice the glued back section.
I'm a knife maker and some exotic woods have voids and the standard practice is to just dab superglue in the void. You would think the clear superglue would stand out but it is a pretty good fix if any voids between the parts exist.

I'm a big fan of tite bond glue but think Medium thick CA is your best bet if the piece fits.

It looks good this morning.Cant see the break for such a large piece. See how it works with a toe plate.
Thanks for the replies.

The time to ask how to fix it is before you do anything.
Glad it worked out well

Alexander

Since we are on this subject, has anyone ever encountered a chip in that area when there was a toe plate? Also, I inlet my toe plate so that the end of the butt plate bears on the toe plate. I figured a hit in that area distributed the blow into the toe plate held by screws. Is there a particular way to install a toe plate. I've seen a few jobs where it is not inlet but just screwed in place.

Back