• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Way To Clean Up Cast Brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Evans

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to clean and shine cast brass? A mill file seem to let a lot of scratches. Jewelry files are small and take a while.What works for you?

For sand cast Bplates I start w/ a rasp and then a mill file...w/ investment cast Bplates, I skip the rasp an go w/a mill file. After the mill file, 220 grit paper is used, then 00 steel wool, 320 grit paper and a final smoothing rub w/ 0000 steel wool. I like a slightly aged look so use 44/40 cold blue and then use the 0000 steel wool to rub it back for an aged look......Fred

P1010010.JPG

Hi,
I start with medium cut files to shape and clean up flashing. Then I use fine files lubricated with parafin oil. On curved surfaces, I usually resort to 220-800 grit sand paper dipped in water, however, if flat, I prefer polishing stones dipped in parafin oil. I scrape the brass around details using an old skew chisel. From there, it depends on my objectives. On muskets and military guns, I go right to burnishing the brass with a steel burnisher dipped in parafin oil and then even the burnishing with 4"0" steel wool. If I want a higher more perfect polish, I use 3-M bristle burrs mounted on a Dremel tool to polish without rounding over sharp details and corners. I never use a buffing wheel, ever. They round corners, dish out screw holes and provide a polish that is hard, glassy, and not authentic looking.

dave

I used to finish my cast brass with strips of emery cloth with the castings held in a soft jawed vice. Started with 100 grit , then 220, 320 , 400, and finished with scotch brite. I spent many hours doing this while "watching "automatic screw machines run. I usually could get one piece a night finished. Such was life on the night shift!

Yes, I use chalk as well. Dave mentioned that he uses paraffin oil on fine files, and I was wondering why.

Back