• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best vent/touch hole liner?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Chamber's "White Lightning" vent liner...don't know how the ignition could get any faster. It's like....very fast. Way fast. If it was on a drag strip, it would be Don Garletts. If it was in outer space, it would be in Warp Drive. Have no idea what sizes those come in.

How big is the touch hole? A 1/16 is common but I like a 5/64, or even a 3/32. I would grapple with enlarging the hole before I changed liners.
How long have you been shooting flinter? I rekey it feeling like a delay, and when I let others shoot my guns some have commented on the delay, but I notice it naught now... and haven’t for years.

Are you having hang fires or flash in the pan? What rifle do you have? Is

The best vent liners have an internal cone. Most vent liners will have an internal cone. If you have taken your vent liner out to determine the thread diameter and pitch, then you may have seen if you have an internal cone where the vent hole is drilled out larger to allow powder to get as close as possible to the pan.

As Tenngun asked, what is the diameter of the touch hole. Some of the vent liners come with an undersized touch hole. Before you send off for a new touch hole liner, open the touch hole to 1/16". It will be worth your time to find number drills that are sized between 1/16" and 5/64". If the 1/16" doesn't speed ignition, then try the number 51.

Drill Size Diameter
53 0.0595
1/16 0.0625
52 0.0635
51 0.0670
50 0.0700
49 0.0730
48 0.0760
5/64 0.0781

The Chamber's White Lightning vent is very good, but it requires you to have a special drill and tap to install. You have a 1/4-28 liner so you would need the 5/16" kit at $28 to replace it. If you already have a coned liner, you won't be gaining much over opening the touch hole.

Track of the Wolf has the internally coned vent liners. Here is the link to the 1/4-28:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/960/1/THL-S4S

Not new to muzzle loaders But very new to "Rock " muzzleloaders. A bit of a learning curve over cap guns. it's a custom with green mountain barrel(seen to the left).50x36 small siler lock and a slotted(screw drive) vent liner. it likes swiss 2f 70grns .018pt 490 ball, But I do get hang fires and flint life seams short. (English&french)

Not new to muzzle loaders But very new to "Rock " muzzleloaders. A bit of a learning curve over cap guns. it's a custom with green mountain barrel(seen to the left).50x36 small siler lock and a slotted(screw drive) vent liner. it likes swiss 2f 70grns .018pt 490 ball, But I do get hang fires and flint life seams short. (English&french)

Like 1758 said, I would try opening up the vent to 1/16. I had a white lightening that was marginal, bit just opening up to 1/16 help tremendously.
You also need to see if the spark is going into the flashpan and not in front. That may be flint position, or a lock tuning for springs or hammer geometry.
1/16 is a good bet, and an easy trial.

Most consider the White Lightning liners the best and everyone agrees there are none better. I only have one flintlock with a liner and it’s an old ampco liner. Folks comment on how fast my flintlock fires so I’m not sure I’d try for improvement when this one burns out, if it ever does. I’ll probably stick with the 1/4-28 coned liners available. For a new build the White Lightning liners are going to be viewed by most as the top of the line.

I have a 1/4-28 standard vent liner in now are there any better for faster ignition?
I agree with the others. Try sticking a 1/16" drill bit shank thru the existing touch hole. If it doesn't enter the hole, use the drill bit and an electric drill to drill the hole out. Then give it a try by shooting the gun.

After firing some shots, if it still is very slow, get a #51 drill bit at your local hardware store. You may have to ask for it as the number size bits aren't usually hanging in a display.

Usually, a small increase in the vent size will make a noticeable difference in the ignition speed but remember, flintlocks are a little slower to fire than the percussion cap ignition is.
When I say "slower" I'm talking about a tenth of a second or so. It isn't really slow but a shooter who is use to modern cartridge guns or percussion guns can sense that slight delay.

I put 14X28 Ampco/bronze touch hole liners in my builds. If the gun seems to be slow firing I will open the flash hole to 1/16". I like the slotted liner as it facilitates cleaning and is able to be removed when someone fails to introduce a powder charge before they seat the projectile. The AMPCO alloy does not erode larger very fast, even with heavy loads. These certainly out last stainless steel liners about 4 or 5 to one and are relatively inexpensive. It is important to clean the threads on the liner and in the breech when it is removed. Also important to use a good brand of "anti-seize" compound on the threads when re-installing it. This done every time insures the liner will always come out when you need it to.

Indeed, some vent liners have a tiny tiny hole, which just isn't going to work well. I've seen some, and it's like: "seriously???" and: "what are they thinking???"

For sure experiment with different size flints, and where you place the flint in the jaws, bevel side up or down, etc., if you have not already. I try to use as big and wide of a flint that I can, within reason, it seems to last longer than a smaller flint...although both my flintlocks are easy on flint. Some of the flints I buy as musket flints, are a little on the small side and work well in my rifle lock.

Ok I tried to drill out to a larger size 2 snapped bits, with a hand drill. Took out the old liner(a lot of @#%$& forgot the anticize) destroyed the screw drive slot , used some kroll and waited . After lunch got it out and put in a rmc larger hole and coned on inside , used nickel anticize . rmc on left old right
DSC02942.JPG
DSC02941.JPG

when I started shooting my 'flinter, I almost gave up because of the irratic ignition....older chap advised me to open the insert to 5/64'' ,coned the inside and deepen the pan(BELL mfg.looks like a traditions). after the above mods and priming as well as main charge using GOEX 3F, I NEVER again had a miss fire and the ignition was F A S T. !!!
I presented the flinter to my son in law......guess I need another lol

The best I have ever read about where platinum lined but I have no idea if they can still be had. I didn't see a source on Google but I bet some one out their is still doing it and one may be able to find a jeweler to do the job for you if so inclinded.

Old Crow, I made the pan deeper on my Pedersoli Brown Bess lock, and it did indeed speed things up. I made it deeper away from the touch hole, and then "sloped" it up towards the touch hole. I think it mostly serves to keep the priming from piling up against the touch hole. And perhaps the "slope" directs the flash more towards the touch hole. I also use a little more priming in the pan, than I normally would, or compared to my rifle.

Back