• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best US Made Kentucky Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has some well done repairs. I believe they were done during the build. Wood with that much curl is like cheap plastic. It is really brittle. Probably broke while he was working on it. If you look at the tang picture, you can see the lines on each side of the tang. It also splintered out and was repaired along the foreend were the wood rolls into the barrel. Probably broke while he was thinning the wood along the barrel channel. In keeping with the European style of not wasting wood, there is even a small knot back by the butt plate.
Hey Brice, has the sideplate been stretched? Looks to be slightly two different colors up by the front lock screw.

Good eye. The plate has had a piece of brass brazed on and to extend it to line up with the lock bolts. Must have been a commercial plate for a smaller lock.

Best Kentucky rifles made in the US? My choices would be Allen Martin, Jim Kibler, Mike Brooks, Ed Wenger, Tom Curran, Eric von Aschwege, Mark Silver, Hershel House, Bill Shipman, and Ian Pratt. If your objective is the best under $2000 then some of the choices mentioned like Tip Curtis are probably good bets. The very best readily available bargains today for a very high quality and correctly styled gun are the kits offered by Jim Kibler. For the money, they are hard to beat.

dave

Dave is right on. These guys are all builders of the best Kentucky rifles in the U.S.A, however it's best to call them all "American Longrifles", seeing as the originals came from places like Pennsylvania, Virginia and several other schools.
And by the way, Dave Person himself belongs in that list, I personally really admire his work.

Architecture is more important than engraving and pretty wood. Allen Sandy should be on the list of notable modern makers. He'll make a plain gun, or a fancy one, but its the shape that makes a rifle.

Best Kentucky rifles made in the US? My choices would be Allen Martin, Jim Kibler, Mike Brooks, Ed Wenger, Tom Curran, Eric von Aschwege, Mark Silver, Hershel House, Bill Shipman, and Ian Pratt. If your objective is the best under $2000 then some of the choices mentioned like Tip Curtis are probably good bets. The very best readily available bargains today for a very high quality and correctly styled gun are the kits offered by Jim Kibler. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Another vote for the above. I also like Brad Emig's work at Cabin Creek Muzzle Loading. I'd have to say one of the very best, unembellished (plain) rifles out there is the Kibler, or a Curtis, or an Emig.

LD

Another vote for the above. I also like Brad Emig's work at Cabin Creek Muzzle Loading. I'd have to say one of the very best, unembellished (plain) rifles out there is the Kibler, or a Curtis, or an Emig.

LD
Tip Curtis was at Fort Frederick Market Fair a few years back and had a good selection of parts as well as reasonably priced semi finished rifles that had tons of potential...not sure I've seen one completely done.
Speaking of Market Fair, (April 24-28th), that's got to be one of the best places to pick up a used flint rifle, musket, or pistol.

LD
All of the guys mentioned are top notch, but Marvin Kemper should be on the list, too. He does beautiful work.

One other factor to consider.

Do you want a piece of art?
Do you want a piece of art that shoots?
Do you want a well made rife that shoots well, and is very pretty to look at hanging on the wall when you're not shooting it?
Do you want something that is well made and shoots well, and appearance isn't a major concern?

Because they are not all inclusive. I have several rifles that shoot really well, and one is a bit fancy in the wood. I don't care what others think, as the rifles hit what I point them at, and thus I admire them when they are on the wall. I've had amazing adventures with them, and they are old, reliable friends....

I know three fellows, one only owns one flintlock rifle (very fancy with curly wood, inlays and carving), another owns several rifles (some fancy in appearance), and the third is constantly buying and selling his fancy rifles. The first fellow's rifle is so pretty I won't touch it..., I wouldn't handle the Mona Lisa either, know what I mean? It shoots like manure (for him). Very pretty but doesn't fit him well at all so he has a tough time when shooting it..., so he doesn't shoot it much..., a circular situation thus and he will never shoot it well. (It shoots well from the bench though) He loves it anyway. The second fellow has pieces of art that can shoot, but he prefers for them to say on display, and uses a much simpler, plain rifle most often when shooting. His fancy rifles are really just for "the looking". The last fellow wants a piece of art that is a "nail diver" and since for his body shape that is tough to find (OR he's impossible to please perhaps), he buys and sells fancy flintlock rifles several times a year.

Ask each which builders make "the best" rifle, and you will get different answers. NONE of which are wrong, but different parameters of taste and want = different desires. ;)

It's true for other areas as well. A close friend of mine from India, a successful businessman, will drive nothing but Maserati cars, but his son loves top-of-the-line, American built, pick-up trucks. Each think the other's taste in vehicles is cracked, and each drive very well made vehicles. I can't afford either of their choices..... ;)

LD

Good morning. New member here. I'm looking for a Kentucky rifle, US made with US parts. I'm willing to pay for quality, but within reason. In your opinions, who makes the best US rifle? I don't have the time or resources to build my own, and have wanted one for years. Any expertise you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer flintlock but would also consider percussion. I appreciate your time and cooperation. Thank you!
If you have not done so, join the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA). You get a monthly periodical in full color to go with your membership called "Muzzle Blasts". Also subscribe to, or go purchase the magazine, "Muzzleloader". ML comes out bi-monthly. Both these mags, especially the latter, will give you a great wealth of information and show you exactly what a great rifle looks like. Take your time.

Hi and thank you all for your time, cooperation, knowledge and expertise. Is anyone familiar with Kevin Blevins and Phoenix Mountain Flintlocks? I found him on The Contemporary Longrifle Association. Price is reasonable as well as delivery time. Thanks again!
He’s a crook!!!! Stay away!!

Tip Curtis will have what you need,american made and ready to go and in you price range. You will need to study up on different styles because you will need to know what style appeals to you. Barrel length, caliber, length of pull, brass or iron mounted there are a lot of variables. He doesn't have a website, call him, 615-654-4445. All his guns are made in his shop.

View attachment 2755
I thought he passed away a couple years ago

But, @loflyr55, when @Eric Krewson wrote that reply in 2019, Tip Curtis was still alive. Now one will have to seek out semi-custom guns by TVM or some rifles built on speculation by some custom gun makers or hope to find a good used gun. Now there are builders assembling the Jim Kibler kit rifles and reselling them. Look to the classifieds.

I hope by now that @Longrifle NH, the OP who began this search in Jan 2019, has found his rifle.

But, @loflyr55, when @Eric Krewson wrote that reply in 2019, Tip Curtis was still alive. Now one will have to seek out semi-custom guns by TVM or some rifles built on speculation by some custom gun makers or hope to find a good used gun. Now there are builders assembling the Jim Kibler kit rifles and reselling them. Look to the classifieds.

I hope by now that @Longrifle NH, the OP who began this search in Jan 2019, has found his rifle.
Check July 2, 2020 Last Relay at NMLRA

Back