• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best round ball load for 1/48 twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have some ticking but it was tough to load, I’ll give it another try. Thanks

What do the patches look like after firing? They may give you insight.
Sometimes when a 1:48 twist barrel on a rifle shoots conicals well, but not round balls, AND the patches are good, the problem is the factory barrel. The crown can sometimes be "off". For the folks who don't know the term, the edge of the rifled portion where it ends at the muzzle is called the "crown". A lot of originals didn't have a crown on their muzzles with the rifling ending at the edge of the muzzle, BUT factory barrels for muzzleloaders today usually have a slight bevel where the rifling ends at the muzzle. IF that has been damaged over time from the use of cleaning rods, that can be a problem. If it wasn't square with the barrel, when the barrel left the factory that too can be a problem, and a conical will work because of the much longer bearing surface, when a round ball won't.

LD

My 50 cal shoots well with 490rb + 013 (compressed) ticking and 80 grs 2Fg.
Lube can be spit or 7 - 1 water ballistol mix.
Keep trying until you find the right combination.

if you are going crazy trying to get a PB to shoot well and not pleased get a Lee REAL bullet mold melt the balls you have and try the REAL bullet . It shot very good in a .58 cal 1x48 twist Hawken I have. so easy to load

That’s why there were so many replacement barrels made for them. I don’t blame the 1-48 twist as much as the depth of the grooves and wide lands. I don’t have much patience for a picky barrel. They are good deer guns with the LEE Real bullet.

I had a 50 caliber T/C hawken for about 20 years. I never could get a roundball to shoot with any acceptable accuracy. At 50 yards I was lucky to keep the balls in a 3 foot by 3 foot square. I went to Hornady buffalo bore conicals and they were tack drivers. At 50 yards I could keep the shots in a 3 inch circle every time. That hawken was bought in '73 and had a douglas barrel. It just wasn't a good roundball gun. I did carry a few round ball with me incase I needed a second shot at really close range (think 10 feet) to finish off a wounded deer.
Ohio Rusty

I think the .15 patch would be the next step to try. It's all I have ever used in my TC and I have not changed it since I started.

You have your answer. Maxi Balls. My T/C shoots maxi fine. i've played w. RB until I just said "What's the use? Just shoot maxis".
I have shot maxis, reals and Lee Minnie balls in my 1/48 traditions and can shoot clover leafs off the bench at 50 yards with the Lee Minnies. Minnie’s are sized at .498 with homemade lube for the 1st round and only Crisco in the base for following rounds. I regularly shoot about 15 to 20 rounds without cleaning.

I have shot maxis, reals and Lee Minnie balls in my 1/48 traditions and can shoot clover leafs off the bench at 50 yards with the Lee Minnies. Minnie’s are sized at .498 with homemade lube for the 1st round and only Crisco in the base for following rounds. I regularly shoot about 15 to 20 rounds without cleaning.
did you ever try Lee REAL bullets? I have a 58 caliber hawken 1x48 and it does well with the REAL bullets and casting them a lot cheaper then maxi balls. I use crisco in my Zouave 58 in the base like you do. can shoot till I get tired of it no cleaning until I was done

I have had good luck with lee Minnie’s in slow and fast twist. I use a blend of ballistol and beeswax for lube.

Back