• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Best" replacement nipples?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to replace the nipples on all my percussion arms. There is a Traditions, a CVA, a T/C and two Pedersoli's. First, I would like to stick to one brand that can cover all (with appropriate threads) if possible. Second, I would like to learn why one brand may be better than another. I admit I asked this question elsewhere but I got a really limited response (really only one). There is a large audience here with a lot of knowledge so I look forward to your responses. All are rifles but one Pedersoli that is a smoothbore. Thanks in advance

Personally, I use the Hot Shot nipples. They are designed to distribute the heat and flash from the cap to the powder. Thus I have no need to use powder under the nipple for consistent firing of the main charge. They are made of stainless steel. They fit the CCI caps I use. They last a long time in my rifles using modest charges. They are available in most local gun stores.

Spitfire nipples are also a good choice.

You can't go wrong with "Hot Shot" nipples, especially if you use BP substitutes. I like the fact that they have a hole cross drilled horizontally in the area where the cap sits. These hole direct the blow back gases outward and help split the cap for easy removal. My other choice of nipples would be the Knight "Red Hot". Both nipples come in sizes to fit your rifles. Best of luck.

I would like to stick to one brand that can cover all

There is really nothing to be gained with this approach. Just contact a major vendor, like TOW, tell them what guns you have and send proper nipples. Depending on the amount of shooting you do, nipples can sometimes be considered disposable items. That used to be the case with the iron/soft steel nips until Hot Shot and Treso products hit the market. Unless you do a huge amount of shooting the HS nips will last you a long time.

I am going to replace the nipples on all my percussion arms. There is a Traditions, a CVA, a T/C and two Pedersoli's. First, I would like to stick to one brand that can cover all (with appropriate threads) if possible. Second, I would like to learn why one brand may be better than another. I admit I asked this question elsewhere but I got a really limited response (really only one). There is a large audience here with a lot of knowledge so I look forward to your responses. All are rifles but one Pedersoli that is a smoothbore. Thanks in advance

Why do you want to change all of your nipples? I have been shooting ML for close to 45 -50 years and have change only one or two nipples and these were replace with factory nipples. To me nipples are the least problem with shooting ML's.

I prefer the tougher materials such as stainless steel or the alloys used in "modern" nipples like Ampco. But how does the HC crowd feel about them?

Why would you care what the HC crowd thinks of modern well made nipples. Use them for your everyday use and if you must go to a HC function, just change out the nipples if necessary. I can't imagine why they would care what you use.

I like Butler-Creek/Uncle Mikes, as supplied by my local best source - The Gun works - in Springfield OR. I've passed around thirty or more sets to owners of Ruger Old Army, Pietta and Uberti BP guns here in yUK, and all are very satisfied. Me, too, of course.

None of these were new except the smoothbore. The nipples are a mix of types. 2 rifles in particular are less than 100% reliable with all other potential factors addressed. This would provide a constant among them so any other issues can be remedied elsewhere if necessary

I really like the set of nipples I got from Track of the Wolf for my ROA. Best? Don’t think there’s a bill of beans difference between them and the Tressos. No crossdrilled holes, but then I’ve not seen them as necessary. The interior is much the same as the Tresso (small orifice to keep back pressure lower), but at the time I bought them they were cheaper than Tressos, enough so that my savings (~$1/ea) paid the shipping. Someone pointed out a place where the cost was about the same though so you’d have to look around I guess.

Why do you want to change all of your nipples? I have been shooting ML for close to 45 -50 years and have change only one or two nipples and these were replace with factory nipples. To me nipples are the least problem with shooting ML's.
Nipples wear out, the small orifice get larger over time. A worn nipple on a rifle may result in loss of accuracy, a change in point of impact, and with heavier charges, the hammer may start rebounding to half cock. Personally, I have found things going south after as few as two to four outings shooting 45 caliber paper patched conicals (400 plus grains) over 80 to 120 grains of powder. Failure mode is an enlarged office in the nipple.

nothing wrong with replacing your nipples if you want to. As long as it is the correct thread and reach, it doesn't matter much which you use. That being said, I like the Treso ampco and MSM spitfire.

Nipples wear out, the small orifice get larger over time. A worn nipple on a rifle may result in loss of accuracy, a change in point of impact, and with heavier charges, the hammer may start rebounding to half cock. Personally, I have found things going south after as few as two to four outings shooting 45 caliber paper patched conicals (400 plus grains) over 80 to 120 grains of powder. Failure mode is an enlarged office in the nipple.

Guess I have been lucky, don't seem to have that problem.

Just the way I do it,
When cleaning, I remove the nipple to soak in MAP and clean it - inside and out - with a bronze brush.
I look at the hole, and if it looks like it is no longer round or it is getting a tapered look to it, I replace it.
Nipples are cheap, about the price of 3 pounds of lead. We consider the lead "supplies" like powder, patches or spark plugs for your vehicle. They are replaceable for a reason. Nipples are also just "supplies" to keep the gun shooting consistent.

I use Treso or Track of the Wolf but I'm open to any options. I've found Treso to give me delayed ignition when the gun gets dirty ,and I bought a nipple charger to solve the problem.

I'm probably going to switch over to mostly Musket caps on all my percussion guns except maybe a few pistols will keep #11 nipples, more for cosmetic or traditional reasons.

I tried a weird White "Super Nipple" but its hexagon shaped and no nipple wrench will fit it.

Latest posts

Back