• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best projectile diameters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOTHEAD

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I’ve heard a great deal of various numbers for .36 and .44 bullet/ball diameters, and am curious if there is some chart or organized collection of data that helps unravel what is the “best” projectile diameters that seal the chambers and effectively engage the barrel rifling without experimenting with order after order (and delay after delay) of increasing sizes to find the best size. Thanks for any recommendations. Tom KC3QAC

Go to Harbor Freight and purchase a vernier caliper. Measure the holes in the cylinder and purchase roundballs .002 to .004 larger in diameter.

.375 or .380 balls for Uberti .36 cal pistols, and I use Colt conicals with a .380 belt.

.454 Balls or Johnston & Dow conicals for the .44 pistols.

Thanks super_trouper. I just ordered a box of 50 from Cartridgekits.com. I also ordered a box of 50 .45 cal triple seven powder pellets from Cabela’s and was shocked that the special shipping charge was almost as much as the product for shipping from a location an hour from my home (obviously hazmat charge). I chalk these costs up to “education” so I’m distributing that education to you all (for what it’s worth - please ask any questions you might have). A follow-on question I’m going to have eventually is: can I trim the triple 7 pellets to lesser charges ? (The original pellet size is the equivalent of 50 grains, but I may want to reduce that.)

Later, Tom KC3QAC

Yeah Cabela’s slaps on a 24 dollar hazmat charge on powder, primers, etc.

As far as pellets, I’ve never used them. I stick with black powder. I’ve used pyrodex powder in the past but you can’t clean your firearm fast enough to stop it from corroding so I don’t use it if I can help it.

50 g
Thanks super_trouper. I just ordered a box of 50 from Cartridgekits.com. I also ordered a box of 50 .45 cal triple seven powder pellets from Cabela’s and was shocked that the special shipping charge was almost as much as the product for shipping from a location an hour from my home (obviously hazmat charge). I chalk these costs up to “education” so I’m distributing that education to you all (for what it’s worth - please ask any questions you might have). A follow-on question I’m going to have eventually is: can I trim the triple 7 pellets to lesser charges ? (The original pellet size is the equivalent of 50 grains, but I may want to reduce that.)

Later, Tom KC3QAC
50 grain pellets are mainly for rifles or dragoon/walkers

Latest posts

Back