• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best place to buy Tow ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessmuck56

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just wondering where you folks get your tow. If I remember ...a few years ago,someone on this forum gave me an address of a women That sells tow ? Thanks for any help

Well the price of tow has gone through the roof. Jas. Townsends is selling "jute tow" for $3.00 for four ounces. Me, personally, I'd drop a little more cash and get a spool of 4mm jute cord, for shoe laces, or cinching a snapsack closed, or for a gun cleaning line, line to hold my bullet board, powder measure, or my powder horn plug as well as my canteen stopper.., maybe even for fishing and attaching to the leader on a snelled hook, and when I needed some for wadding for the gun, or cleaning, or firestarting, I'd cut off a small bit and break it down into fibers. I'd probably get a spool of the 10mm stuff too. https://www.amazon.com/Tenn-Well-Ga...pe&qid=1554810654&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

LD

Susan Wallace of the Silver Shuttle of Memphis TN is still listed as being in operation although I haven't seen her at events for several years. Phone number is (901)-323-7975. It would be worth a try.

I prefer tow from flax as it is a bit sturdier that the frayed jute. Jute or hemp cord should be available at most weaving and hobby/craft stores and is an acceptable alternative to tow from flax. Untwist the cord to the basic fibers.

^^ Years ago I bought what I figured was a goodly amount to justify shipping.

Found out 10 lbs of Tow is like near a lifetime supply. I still have a full hank (looks like a Norse woman's wig) and then some. Beautiful long fibers.

Susan Wallace of the Silver Shuttle of Memphis TN is still listed as being in operation although I haven't seen her at events for several years. Phone number is (901)-323-7975. It would be worth a try.

I prefer tow from flax as it is a bit sturdier that the frayed jute. Jute or hemp cord should be available at most weaving and hobby/craft stores and is an acceptable alternative to tow from flax. Untwist the cord to the basic fibers.

That Phone # ...is no longah in service....THE HUNT GOES ON !!!!!

I grow my own, its a nice border plant.

The red flax yields better fibers.

Outsidepride.com has the blue and red flax seeds.
I ordered that seed via Amazon.com with free shipping, I did get the Red ones as well.
I have a perfect spot to plat it too.
Thanks Nick
Screenshot_2019-04-09 517xo6CoQxL jpg (JPEG Image, 350 × 350 pixels).jpg

Last edited:
You might try the Yarn Barn in Lawrence, Kansas.

https://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/Cotton-and-Flax/products/774/

Last time I was there, a few years back, they had big hanks of tow. Lawrence is a very lefty place and very anti gun using tow for shooting might get you less service than that which they give to more "acceptable uses. So, if you get in touch with them you might say you are interested in making old time Flemish bow strings for your SCA group, or some other cover story. Maybe don't say anything at all about your use, just place an order and say nothing more.

I don't know about anywhere else but plumbers supply/builders supply shops here in France stock tow as a standard shelf item for thread waterproofing with linseed putty. Still better than fancy tapes but more difficult to use. I bought a large hank years ago and am still using it. In fact I have not yet used most of it as it washes clean to reuse.

You might try the Yarn Barn in Lawrence, Kansas.

https://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/Cotton-and-Flax/products/774/

Last time I was there, a few years back, they had big hanks of tow. Lawrence is a very lefty place and very anti gun using tow for shooting might get you less service than that which they give to more "acceptable uses. So, if you get in touch with them you might say you are interested in making old time Flemish bow strings for your SCA group, or some other cover story. Maybe don't say anything at all about your use, just place an order and say nothing more.

I’ll just tell them..I plan on making a tow band for my MAGA hat!

Back