Best pattern yet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Was able to get some range time in yesterday with my new to me 20/.62 smoothbore rifle. I switched to the Skychief load and it was a definite improvement in my gun and I shot my best pattern to date. After about 10 shots it was proving to be consistently more dense than with the thick cushion wad under the shot. This is with 65grns, 3F Goex, 1/8” over-powder card, 1-1/8 #6 shot, thin overshot card, thick felt cushion wad soaked in olive oil. I can’t wait for spring…..

4D3306A3-A392-46C1-A330-243E77C1C153.jpeg

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Was able to get some range time in yesterday with my new to me 20/.62 smoothbore rifle. I switched to the Skychief load and it was a definite improvement in my gun and I shot my best pattern to date. After about 10 shots it was proving to be consistently more dense than with the thick cushion wad under the shot. This is with 65grns, 3F Goex, 1/8” over-powder card, 1-1/8 #6 shot, thin overshot card, thick felt cushion wad soaked in olive oil. I can’t wait for spring…..

That'll work!

LD

Reaction score
Maybe try using 2f, lower pressure’s might help shrink up you pattern.

Lots of range time by tinkering with loads will keep you busy for sure, lighter in the wallet, and drive you crazy lol!!! Thats why we love them smoothies!!!

OldSmoky1967

40 Cal
Reaction score

View attachment 164308
Add a bit more shot, same powder - the group will tighten up even more. Nice dead turkey!

Reaction score
Add a bit more shot, same powder - the group will tighten up even more. Nice dead turkey!
Not trying to hijack this op, but my fusil is throwing " donut" patterns
Haven't had a lot of time to really work on a load yet. Started out with 75 gr. Of 3 F Graf ( sheutzen) , 90 gr. ( By volume) of #4 shot.
After reading some of the replies here, I may reduce my charge by ten gr., and increase my shot by ten gr.
I was using a cushion wad on top , Sky Chief load. May try a pattern without it too and see how it performs.

OldSmoky1967

40 Cal
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this op, but my fusil is throwing " donut" patterns
Haven't had a lot of time to really work on a load yet. Started out with 75 gr. Of 3 F Graf ( sheutzen) , 90 gr. ( By volume) of #4 shot.
After reading some of the replies here, I may reduce my charge by ten gr., and increase my shot by ten gr.
I was using a cushion wad on top , Sky Chief load. May try a pattern without it too and see how it performs.
I think you are on the right track of reducing the charge. I use 2F in mine. Over powder cushion wad, over shot card. A bit heavier on shot like you are, just a bit lighter on the powder you should be fine...

Latest posts