• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best oil for rust prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This link aways creates controversy and stirs the pot. Guess it hurts feelings as it goes against many preconceived and untested opinions. In my opinion what you use for corrosion protection is not near as important as how well you clean your gun. Clean it correctly and you will not be prone to having rust and corrosion. Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared

Last edited:
Yesterday at 9:56 PM
"For long term storage in humid conditions (Pacific Northwest and SE Alaska) I've used RIG with excellent results. It's not an oil but a rust preventative grease."

Yep, says right on the label "RIG Rust Inhibiting Grease"

Use of a modern rust preventative will not hurt anything if you just wipe the bore with a couple patches before you load the gun. Carry a small bottle of 91% alcohol if you like. It will help even more to give you a clean bore to start with.

When I use Fluid Film, I just swab the bore once with a dry patch, flip it over and swab once again. Good to go.

I made up a mixture of 50/50 Mobil1 and ATF. Good stuff, but don't know about long term storage. Your comment on engine storage for 6 months is quite valid, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
For long term storage in humid conditions (Pacific Northwest and SE Alaska) I've used RIG with excellent results. It's not an oil but a rust preventative grease.
If I lived in a humid environment I would use Eezox or Barricade only. Neither leaves anything but a protective film on the metal so there’s really nothing to burn with the blackpowder. living on the high desert I still use Eezox because if it works in humid conditions it’ll work better in dry. Before that I used CLP cause I got it from my employer for free and it’s all they allowed us to use. It worked but I always had to pump some alchohol through the barrel and breech before loading or you run the risk of hang fire or no fire...

So now, having read the test at the link provided by @SDSmlf, will I continue to use Eezox? Of course, it’s working for me and I have about a half gallon left. When that’s gone I may try frog lube or the Hornaday product but hopefully I won’t be subjecting anything to that kind of torture testing! Who knows, perhaps dementia sets in... it’s nice to think that if I left a rifle leaning against a tree somewhere the kids might find it in serviceable condition...

Last edited:
I wish I'd have known I was wrong when I shot several deer with 54 round ball and a patch lubed with RIG. Maybe if it had taken me 50 shots to hit one I might have been convinced. The rifles bore was still good after 40 some years. It lasted long enough to get burnt up in the Oregon fires this year.

If you are using petroleum based oils with holy black powder you WRONG.

Is that meant to be a joke?

gojo work s good to lube those patches. warm water and dish soap seems to be the best for cleaning boars and locks then oil with 3in 1 oil.

All my stuff was in storage for over a year during a move and there was no rust i=on anything.
All I use is Ballistol and don't you love the smell.
Hold center
Bunk

I wish I'd have known I was wrong when I shot several deer with 54 round ball and a patch lubed with RIG. Maybe if it had taken me 50 shots to hit one I might have been convinced. The rifles bore was still good after 40 some years. It lasted long enough to get burnt up in the Oregon fires this year.
Hereti! Burn him! Burn him and his RIG!
oh. Sorry too late. Sorry for your loss. And pray for snow. Not much here and if it doesn’t come soon we’re in for it again!

I'm having a problem wrapping my arms around using water based lubricants. Back in the days of Daniel Boone, that's all they had. If he had real oil, I'msure he would have found a way to make it work.

It will probably seem overly fussy, but I never put firearms or swords away using bare hands. I keep a pair of "white" cotton gloves handy so there is no chance of accidentally leaving fingerprints. I say "white" because they pick up oil so if anything is left behind it won't lead to rust.

"So I ran a little test, putting it in 180 degrees so that the curve in the rod was pushing up on the bottom of the barrel. Hate to tell you guys this, but the point of impact changed."

How is a brass rod going to bend a piece " steel barrel to change impact?
I'm having a problem wrapping my arms around using water based lubricants. Back in the days of Daniel Boone, that's all they had. If he had real oil, I'msure he would have found a way to make it work.

Wow, finally a little harmony! Water in lubricant....not.

I have had great performance from WD40 as a rust preventative for decades. Just checked out my old TC Hawken that has been in my safe, untouched for 21 years. Not a spec of rust/corrosion. Last treated with WD40 in the bore and exterior- lock and barrel. I also like Barricade for rust prevention and even more-so for lubricating the lockworks.
I have used WD 40 for years myself. Starting with my first white smoke gun, a Ruger Old Army in 1975. Then through use of a CVA .45 rifle, T/C both cap and flint rifles, a N/W style trade gun from TOW and a .40 cal poor boy from Track.
I am not a hunter, and don't shoot much BP in the cold weather months. It does get hot and humid here in Indiana in the summer. My guns are stored in temp controlled environments. No sign of rust on anything.
YMMV.

I did a corrosion test with a number of different materials on steel placed in a protected area on my patio. WD40, Balistol and a few other materials did work OK. My best result was with a furniture wax (Howard's Feed n Wax) and Marvel Mystery Oil (which was a surprise). On subsequent tests this wax and Marvel Mystery Oil continued to test well. Frog Lube worked well too. A light application of super blonde shellac also worked very well.

Latest posts

Back