• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best oil for rust prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can accept there are more modern and perhaps better oils but I still use Rangoon Oil on my (unfired) collection. The smell to me is the smell of antique firearms.

The most important thing is to use something! I’m not crazy about WD-40 because most of it evaporates. I use Ballistol the most. I also have some mineral oil, the type you buy at the drugstore or less expensive at Costco. I heard about it from GunBlue490. He made the point that it is pure and doesn’t have all the strong unneeded chemicals added, like in motor oil. Also, I sometimes use Johnson’s Paste wax for the exterior, especially for wall hangers. It doesn’t darken wood like most oils do and does a good job protecting metal too. Lastly, I put a light coat of grease in the bores of guns I may not be shooting for a long time. Especially, shotguns.

I like Fluid Film. I spray a shot in the muzzle with the straw then swab it in the bore well. when I withdraw the patch, I use it to wipe down all of the exterior metal. No rust. It gets pretty humid here in the summer. Just dry patch once before loading and you're good to go.

They didn't have any of them fancy lubes back in the day. Never understood why some folks are so strict about the authenticity of their guns and accessories but not when it comes to maintenance. Bear oil and olive oil have worked absolutely fine for me for over 25 years. Never any rust on any of my guns.

They didn't have any of them fancy lubes back in the day. Never understood why some folks are so strict about the authenticity of their guns and accessories but not when it comes to maintenance. Bear oil and olive oil have worked absolutely fine for me for over 25 years. Never any rust on any of my guns.
Never had the barrel metals we have today either. Use the lube that works for you in your barrel.
Walk

Barricade is highly recommended, I used to use G.I. oil from Nam until about twelve years ago when a friend who retired from special forces black opps told me all he used was 3 in 1 oil. I have used it ever since. I find that WD 40, G.I. oil, 3 in 1 oil, or barricade all work well for guns kept in dry conditions, but for less than ideal conditions I go to 3 in 1, oil and barricade for extreme poor conditions.

I did a corrosion test with a variety of inhibition treatments, including Ballistol, WD 40 and waxes. After 6 months hanging on my covered patio Howards Feed n Wax (which is beeswax in orange oil) and Marvel Mystery oil tested best. WD 40 was down the list and Ballistol was not as good as WD 40. Some metal polishes were worse than nothing.

I am not saying you should give up on Ballistol, but perhaps other treatments might work better in actual tests. Marvel Mystery oil has a wintergreen odor which I suspect is what is in Frog Lube and other gun treatments.

I have mostly used WD-40 with great success but I have also used CRC Power Lube as well the last 15 years. Learnt it from the BPCR people. It works well. 3 in 1 is okay Some talk about Ballistol but as it is water soluable I am some what leery of leaving it on for any extended period of time. I use ballistol extensively for my patch lube though.... 6 - 1.

Lol...this was like asking is vanilla or chocolate icecream better?

That said, I echo what many have already said there are many good oils on the market. On modern firearms I use CLP but for my front stuffers I have used that Traditions/OxYoke Wonderlube liquid stuff. However, I am becoming more and more fond of Ballistol.

Reckon that depends on what you plan topping it with. Now, if you got some natural peanut butter and dark chocolate syrup the debate can get pretty serious.

But for a persistent rust prevention film, I'm testing out a 99 cent bottle of two cycle oil. The blue colored stuff.
But I signed on the interseine wondering about what Min-Wax product might look good on an all browned Renegade rejuvenation...

Almost any of the synthetic motor oils have never left me rusty.I can't even recall the brand I'm using now. Amsoil, I think?

I did a little test of my own with the oil I had on hand. I used the Barricade, CLP, Amsoil, 3-1 and Hoppes Elite. I have sprayed the test areas with salt water mist a couple times a day for 3 days. Barricade so far is the best followed closely by CLP. Next would be Amsoil and 3-1 tied. Hoppes Elite just sucks. I know there are other good to great oils to use but those are the ones I had

Back