Quantcast

Best oil for rust prevention

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This link aways creates controversy and stirs the pot. Guess it hurts feelings as it goes against many preconceived and untested opinions. In my opinion what you use for corrosion protection is not near as important as how well you clean your gun. Clean it correctly and you will not be prone to having rust and corrosion. Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared

Last edited:

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday at 9:56 PM
"For long term storage in humid conditions (Pacific Northwest and SE Alaska) I've used RIG with excellent results. It's not an oil but a rust preventative grease."

Yep, says right on the label "RIG Rust Inhibiting Grease"

Use of a modern rust preventative will not hurt anything if you just wipe the bore with a couple patches before you load the gun. Carry a small bottle of 91% alcohol if you like. It will help even more to give you a clean bore to start with.

When I use Fluid Film, I just swab the bore once with a dry patch, flip it over and swab once again. Good to go.

jps2486

32 Cal
Reaction score
I made up a mixture of 50/50 Mobil1 and ATF. Good stuff, but don't know about long term storage. Your comment on engine storage for 6 months is quite valid, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For long term storage in humid conditions (Pacific Northwest and SE Alaska) I've used RIG with excellent results. It's not an oil but a rust preventative grease.
If I lived in a humid environment I would use Eezox or Barricade only. Neither leaves anything but a protective film on the metal so there’s really nothing to burn with the blackpowder. living on the high desert I still use Eezox because if it works in humid conditions it’ll work better in dry. Before that I used CLP cause I got it from my employer for free and it’s all they allowed us to use. It worked but I always had to pump some alchohol through the barrel and breech before loading or you run the risk of hang fire or no fire...

So now, having read the test at the link provided by @SDSmlf, will I continue to use Eezox? Of course, it’s working for me and I have about a half gallon left. When that’s gone I may try frog lube or the Hornaday product but hopefully I won’t be subjecting anything to that kind of torture testing! Who knows, perhaps dementia sets in... it’s nice to think that if I left a rifle leaning against a tree somewhere the kids might find it in serviceable condition...

Last edited:

The Crisco Kid

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I'd have known I was wrong when I shot several deer with 54 round ball and a patch lubed with RIG. Maybe if it had taken me 50 shots to hit one I might have been convinced. The rifles bore was still good after 40 some years. It lasted long enough to get burnt up in the Oregon fires this year.

Scota@4570

40 Cal
Reaction score
If you are using petroleum based oils with holy black powder you WRONG.

Is that meant to be a joke?

bcbdmorrison

32 Cal
Reaction score
gojo work s good to lube those patches. warm water and dish soap seems to be the best for cleaning boars and locks then oil with 3in 1 oil.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
All my stuff was in storage for over a year during a move and there was no rust i=on anything.
All I use is Ballistol and don't you love the smell.
Hold center
Bunk

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I'd have known I was wrong when I shot several deer with 54 round ball and a patch lubed with RIG. Maybe if it had taken me 50 shots to hit one I might have been convinced. The rifles bore was still good after 40 some years. It lasted long enough to get burnt up in the Oregon fires this year.
Hereti! Burn him! Burn him and his RIG!
oh. Sorry too late. Sorry for your loss. And pray for snow. Not much here and if it doesn’t come soon we’re in for it again!

BigAl52

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
These oil threads here remind me of engine oil threads on other forums. It really stirs things up

jps2486

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm having a problem wrapping my arms around using water based lubricants. Back in the days of Daniel Boone, that's all they had. If he had real oil, I'msure he would have found a way to make it work.

Auldjin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It will probably seem overly fussy, but I never put firearms or swords away using bare hands. I keep a pair of "white" cotton gloves handy so there is no chance of accidentally leaving fingerprints. I say "white" because they pick up oil so if anything is left behind it won't lead to rust.

chix2111

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
"So I ran a little test, putting it in 180 degrees so that the curve in the rod was pushing up on the bottom of the barrel. Hate to tell you guys this, but the point of impact changed."

How is a brass rod going to bend a piece " steel barrel to change impact?
I'm having a problem wrapping my arms around using water based lubricants. Back in the days of Daniel Boone, that's all they had. If he had real oil, I'msure he would have found a way to make it work.

chix2111

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, finally a little harmony! Water in lubricant....not.