• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Best" Number 10/11 Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"caps?" Somebody please explain. What is this word?
It is what one might get stuck with if they don't have access to a good flintlock. OK OK , I still shoot mine (hard to just quit cold turkey).

I have tried the RWS and they work fine but I'm still finding Remington is the most consistent as far as having the same noise when they go off. Haven't had duds with CCI either, but haven't had the need to switch. I use the RWS musket caps since I've heard the "reenactor" ones (the only other ones I see on the shelves around here) are not hot enough.

I use the RWS musket caps since I've heard the "reenactor" ones (the only other ones I see on the shelves around here) are not hot enough.
I don't know about being "not hot enough".
They are "hot enough" to fire the 60 grain (on average) FFg/FFFg blanks they shoot at the CW reeinactments?
Of course when I was doing reeinactments, special musket caps for reeinactors had not been invented yet.

... a person surely doesn’t “need” fake black powder.
I've never "needed" it at any rate.

I am pretty sure I used "Magnum" caps for a couple hundred shots, many years ago.
If I remember right, the store was out of regular caps (all brands) when I stopped in once.

I have been very happy with Remington 10s and 11s since the apostle Paul was a corporal. Lit black, Pyrodex, and Triple 7 with vigor. Misfires
however rare, were easily traced to operator error, not the caps. Each time I tried CCIs it seemed to me I had more issues.

I doubt I'll ever use CCI caps.

I've tried some of their cartridge ammo ... .22LR; .380; 9mm; .38 Spcl/.357 Magnum; .44 Magnum; .45 ACP ... not impressed.

CCI cap tins look too "modern" and cheap, too.

I've never "needed" it at any rate.

I am pretty sure I used "Magnum" caps for a couple hundred shots, many years ago.
If I remember right, the store was out of regular caps (all brands) when I stopped in once.
Necessity is a mother... not long ago someone mentioned the “fact” that Remington was discontinuing production of #10 caps so I picked up a couple thousand. I would dearly hate to run out. I don’t use as many 11’s so I’m okay there with a thousand or so in stock but it would really really cause me pain not to be able to send a few dozen balls down range each and every week... ca’tridges just aren’t the same.

I always just left the nipple in the drum and used a needle file to thin the top 1/8th inch or so. Never thought of putting it in a drill press and spinning it. Bet that works pretty slick.

I really like Remington #11s. The stay together well. CCIs have split or simply disappeared too many times.
The Remingtons feed well from my goose neck capper too. Come to think of it, their caps and primers are about the only things Remington's made lately that isn't all cattywhumpus.

its an explosive cap with how many psi coming at it during firing? It's going to rip in half or be blown out the hammer cup.

I've shot everything from CCI, Remington, RWS, Some older than me Italian made caps, they all did the same job. Recently RWS caps seem to cause my groups to open up. CCI Magnum #11 has been super consistent and reliable.

After 21 years of pretty heavy shooting, its my experience that caps that split or fragment can be traced to either brittle caps or worn nipples. Ymmv

I can only find CCI and Remingtons close to home. I only shoot small caliber and 3f powder and have not had any issues. If I find either on sale I usually buy a few more to put back. I have to be honest when I snap a cap before loading for the life of me I can not tell any difference between a CCI Mag and regular CCI #11 cap.

I can only find CCI and Remingtons close to home. I only shoot small caliber and 3f powder and have not had any issues. If I find either on sale I usually buy a few more to put back. I have to be honest when I snap a cap before loading for the life of me I can not tell any difference between a CCI Mag and regular CCI #11 cap.

If you have hearing protection on as you should, how could a person tell any difference?

No one can.

Like arguing about how to clean your rifle or the best patch lube.

I've never had a CCI cap fragment. They do split, which I like. They fall off the nipple and I don't need to pick them off.i have absolutely no problems with them. Some people have mental hang-ups and preconceived ideas about many things, and that is fine. I don't actually believe there is a "best" percussion cap. Use what you like.

I've used a number of different brands with generally good success except for some old Remingtons I picked up somewhere. Most were fine, but some lost the priming which fell out. Interestingly if I put the little priming pill back in the cap most still would work. I have found there to be quite a bit of difference between brands on the what is a size 10 vs 11. I just picked up some CCI 10s at a local general store/quick shop when I forgot caps for my revolver going to the range. They only had 10s. The 10s were too small to work effectively, but when I got home number 10 Remintons fit fine.

RWS 1075 or Remington Magnum caps are all I use. The Remington caps are more reliable an put four deer in the freezer this season for me. Three deer for my son.

Back