• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best muzzleloader for an older guy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garland

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have shot and hunted with Hawken rifles and my 50 cal flint Southern mountai. Rifle for more years than I can remember. At 72 years old and after shoulder and wrist surgery I think it's time for a change. Any suggestions for something that I might consider?

I would recommend that you consider a .40. The Issac Haines is a nice rifle, a bit shorter barrel so less nose heavy, though a swamped barrel can take care of that. A flint Tennessee .40 is in process [slow, mind you] on my bench now for just that reason - I like the idea of shooting all day and only being tired from pointing the rifle, not from getting shoved around.

David
NM

I have shot and hunted with Hawken rifles and my 50 cal flint Southern mountai. Rifle for more years than I can remember. At 72 years old and after shoulder and wrist surgery I think it's time for a change. Any suggestions for something that I might consider?
I have two ML rifles that are easy on carry weight and recoil. My Traditions Crocket rifle which is a caplock and my Kibler SMR in a 40 caliber. Both are very lightweight and you can shoot them all day without exhausting your powder supply. My trade rifle in 50 caliber is pretty heavy in comparison.

I am 74 I have a reverse engineered titanium right shoulder joint , (the humorous ends in a cup and the scapula in a ball ) I own and regularly use ML rifles of .40 , .50 & .54 and 20ga and 16 ga smoothbores , all I have done is reduce the powder charge a little while still retaining the accuracy I need and re sighted the firearms for that load . I also shoot a lot of clay targets with one of those other guns , so far no problems with recoil . I also made a shoulder pad out of a jogging shoe liner , folded over and glued together which can be velcro'd in to the shoulder of my shooting jacket or shirt , it works really well but so far I have not needed to use it .

Maybe clue us in on what you plan to use the gun for? You know, big or small game hunting? Plinking or target shooting? Really depends on what you plan to do with the gun. Another option is to download the guns you have now. Lighter loads can be significant easier on a surgically repaired shoulder than heavy hunting loads and surprisingly accurate.

What do you hunt? I think that makes a big difference in recommending something.

I agree with others that a .40 or .45 makes a very sweet rifle, but if you hunt elk or black bear those wouldn't be the best choice.

For easy-on-the-shoulder, large flatter butt plates make a big difference in distributing recoil. To reduce carrying weight an A or B weight swamped barrel (depending on caliber) or a tapered Octagon to Round rifled would be great.

I have an "Early Virginia" with a 44" Green Mountain swamped barrel in .54 cal that comes in at under 8# and balances like a dream. Anyone who picks it up immediately comments on how great it shoulders and points. It was made by Larry Williams.

The flat butt plate and "dainty" build characteristics are, in my opinion, two of the secrets to great handling and comfortable rifle. Too light, though, and a lot of recoil can be transferred to your shoulder. This one seems to be in the sweet spot for me.

2022-11-27_08-35-43.jpg

PS: My Hawken is still a great favorite of mine, but at 10 1/2# and with the skinny curved buttplate, it isn't really nice to carry around nor shoot long days at the range. Just somethin' about a Hawken though! :)

At 70 years old myself, I feel your pain. I recently picked up a T/C Seneca in .45. It will replace my T/C Hawken in .54. About 1 1/2lbs lighter and much easier to carry . I also have a nice Accurate Pedersoli flintlock rifle in .50. I believe it’s called the Frontier Scout. Very light and accurate, and sparks like crazy with no delay. That is my go-to rifle for the upcoming muzzleloader late season deer hunt. Work for me.

I'm not recoil sensitive but I too have trouble with out front weight of larger caliber guns. Balance is important for me too. The 62-20 smoothies help some but I have two .45 cal rifles that seem to fit and feel better. One is an Italian made and the other is a hand built by an unknown with a Bill Large 4J barrel. Weight, Balance, find something that is comfortable for you.

Kibler .40 EASY to point, light, sweet. Get one. As for your reasoning..I have a new $14,95 bipod that I can carry easy on the belt of my fanny pack and the deer will not be happy, extends long enough to shoot standing (I am 5'7 and 7/8 and a half tall though). VERY steady. Sportsmans Warehouse or Cal Ranch. Carful the cheap one is as good and works as well as the others at $69.00 and up. Online search?

Latest posts

Back