• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best Moosemilk mixture?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your mix,mines 2oz MOS,2oz Water Soluable oil,16oz water,best I can tell this is the mix for the dry lubed patches used for target shooting

I believe that what you are describing (Moose Milk)is for your wiping (cleaning) patches between shots. Your dry lube is just water and water soluble oil mixed to your best ratio, such as 4 parts water and 1 oil or maybe you rifle likes a 7-1 ratio. Soak your material in this mixture,lay Flat( DO NOT hang it up) and allow to dry completely.

Others change that a little. Some add some isopropyl alcohol, witch hazel, and different amounts of oil. Also some use Castor Oil instead of the Water Soluable.

When I first started making what I considered "moosemilk" all I used was the NAPA water soluable cutting oil, a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap and water at like a 6-1 ratio. I used that for years it seemed. Then Stumpkiller mentioned the use of Castor Oil, isopropyl alcohol and witch hazel in addition to the other ingredents. I have made his mixture and really like the stuff. One thing about Stumpkillers mixture is the condition of the patches after you shoot and the ease of loading with the mixture. I am hooked now on this stuff. I use the MooseSnot for the conicals.

Although I am testing one barrel using nothing but bore butter. Last time out it shot real good again...

Shucks.

Once again:

Stumpkiller's Moose Milk

Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) __ 8 oz.
Castor Oil _______________ 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap ________ 1 oz.
Witch Hazel ______________ 4 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) __ 16 oz.

Add in the above order and shake well to mix as added, and again before every use or transfer. Oil and water don't mix, dontcha know. Castor is alcohol soluable, but not in water. And yes, the witch hazel does seem to make a difference in how well it smears and coats the bore.

I dip cotton strips twice, allowing them to dry flat, for "dry patching" (it's still oily, but not messy). Works great as a wet lube and powder solvent, too.

For absolute target or hunting I either wipe between shots with a spit patch if using a ball block or else add a drop of fresh Milk to the patch and smear it between my thumb and index finger if cutting at the muzzle.

The above mix is exactly what I used this last time, last night I went and bought all ingredients and today shot,dry lube patches. one hole groups again, best darn stuff this side of the pecos and maybe beyond. I printed the recipe out this time. Today I tried some new denim also, that was only .003 thinner than my usual, groups opened up to 4 inches. even with the dry lube mix. and every thing else being the same.

oooooops, make that a .005 difference. I just found some more today it mics at .025-.028. I think the label on the fabric roll said 10 ounce, incase anyone is interested.

Hey guys...

I thought the traditional "Moose Milk" also included Hydrogen peroxide. Have I been away from this too long?

Yep. We decided there's not enough bacteria concern in the barrel to justify the oxidizing damage to the metal of hydrogen peroxide; or ammonia or chlorine. Just 'cause it bubbles don't mean it's helping things.

This thread shows that a 15 (16) year old thread can still have value. Not only that we have a refreshment of Stumpy's Moose Milk Recipe. We have a few different components and a lot of the same.
Shucks.

Once again:

Stumpkiller's Moose Milk

Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) __ 8 oz.
Castor Oil _______________ 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap ________ 1 oz.
Witch Hazel ______________ 4 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) __ 16 oz.

Add in the above order and shake well to mix as added, and again before every use or transfer. Oil and water don't mix, dontcha know. Castor is alcohol soluable, but not in water. And yes, the witch hazel does seem to make a difference in how well it smears and coats the bore.

I dip cotton strips twice, allowing them to dry flat, for "dry patching" (it's still oily, but not messy). Works great as a wet lube and powder solvent, too.

For absolute target or hunting I either wipe between shots with a spit patch if using a ball block or else add a drop of fresh Milk to the patch and smear it between my thumb and index finger if cutting at the muzzle.

So much time has passed and so little has changed.

I like Stumpkillers, "Moose Milk".
When I first made some years ago I realized it is a lot more complicated than the stuff people at the time were calling, "Moose Milk".
With its Caster Oil and Witch Hazel instead of Machine Coolant oil mixture I figured he was on to something good.

Model airplane engines use Caster Oil in their fuel and I still have a lot of them that haven't run for years but they are still totally rust free today. Caster oil is all that has been protecting them for all of these years.

Anyway, with this in mind, I suggested he should change the name to "Moose Juice".

Latest posts

Back