• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best Hawken rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Was looking at smoke poles and noticed that several different companies make a Hawken rifle. I would like to here some opinions on who makes the best one. Tony

My first rifle was a T/C "Hawken" type...
Not to much as a historical design, but they stand behind their muzzleloaders.

Hey Woodsman. I used to have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 percussion while I was doin' mountain man thing...now, have gone back to 1763. I think you would have to look pretty far to find a better production "Hawken" styled front stuffer, a good rifle and good prices...look around some.
Good luck in your quest.
All the best,
John in Oregon

Unless you're looking for an exact period specific model, considering all elements of quality, style, appearance, accuracy, low price, and unbeatable lifetime warranty, in my opinion nothing else compares to a TC Hawken, both percussion and flintlock.

PS: TC's recent flintlock production includes major design improvements starting a couple years ago and they are now absolutely flawless...I have several in various calibers and they're outstanding.

Took Deer with .45, .50, and .54cal TC Hawken Flintlocks last year, and usually shoot one of them every weekend at the range...get some good quality Tom Fuller Black English Flints from October Country and shoot all day.

Hi. I don't disagree with Musketman and Roundball, T/C makes a great unit...my son had one for awhile before he too went "back" in time. It was a slick rig. Just saying that the Lyman is more closely designed to the old Hawken style rifle but neither is a bad deal. Both good solid shooters and well made.
All the best,
John

I would think that the first thing to do is define the term "Hawken" rifle, The closest production level guns that would reflect the lines and style of an original Hawken halfstock would be the LGP, Austin Halleck Mt Rifle, and a couple of Deer creeks guns which are styled after the old CVA Mt. rifle. Decide whether you want a replica type gun or if just loading from the front and not looking like an '06 is enough then set the bar at your own level and the choice will be easier.

Look what I found...
cool.gif

"Wouldn't you rather own a genuine Hawken Rifle?"

2rifles.jpg

In December of 1990 a new and equally great period of the "Hawken" story began. Mr. Ressel sold the entire shop to a small family owned business in Washington. Greg Roberts and Claudette Greene purchased "The Hawken Shop" to preserve this valued part of Americana. Once again, the classic "HAWKEN" had returned! Current planning was to wait 2 years before proceeding with the "Hawken" venture. At that time Greg and Claudette were absorbed in the planning and development of a traditional muzzle-loading rifle in the style of Dimmick and Leman, and felt they could not devote additional time to "Hawken". However, fate intervened and a foundry fire destroyed all other tools and parts, except for the Hawken tooling. Consequently Hawken was back in business, producing Hawken rifles once again.

In this age of substitutes and clones the very idea of owning an original is incomprehensible. Originals are reserved for only the very wealthy and influential. Not so with "The Hawken Shop", this quality and originality is again available to anyone who desires to own the finest.

Their catalog will describe in detail the many items that are currently available, with more on the way.

E-Mail [email protected]
http://www.thehawkenshop.com/

Musketman, those are truly beautiful rifles. It amazes me to see what we are capable of when our goal is quality and not quantity.I have made my desision and I'm going with the Lyman's Great Plains rifle as it is the closest I can come to the originals and stay within my budget. I thank you all for your input. Tony

Good choice, I think you will enjoy the feel of the LGP I treally liked mine and found it to be an excellent shooter....have fun.

Woodsman:
You made the right choice IMHO. I built a .50 percussion GP rifle many years ago from a kit. I got so tired of beating everyone at the local club with it that I decided to retire it for a flint longrifle. Can't say things come so easy now.
shocked.gif
If you will get the one with the 1 in 60" twist for round balls and the Lyman globe sights - it'll drive tacks at fifty yards. Try 50 grains of FFF Goex and .15 pillow ticking with plenty of spit for lube.
wink.gif
If it doesn't shoot to your expectation then try lapping the bore a hundred times with green Scotchbrite/3 in 1 oil. Oh, I almost forgot - I shoot a .495 round ball made from a cheap Lee mold. Try these things out and I'm sure you'll be satisfied. Good luck......

Back