• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best group you ever shot (ML only)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime444

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Ok, what’s the best group/score you ever shot? Gun/load would also be cool, as well.

Here’s mine. Probably won’t believe it,though. 50 plus years of ML and shot the best group, 5 shots at 50 yds this summer, witnessed. 5 into .23in ctc at 50yds. With a Lyman Great Plains .50cal, 70 gr Goex Cart 2fg, .015 thk precut patch, std open Lyman sights. Told you you wouldn’t believe it. Better than all my custom barrels and rifles,ever. Some luck involved, I’m assuming.

I was living in the Territory & was a member of a local Black Powder club. I was using my .50 caliber CVA percussion with 90 grains of 2fg & a 15 thou calico patching with a round ball. Every shot went through the same hole, & because of that they cancelled my winning score saying it can't be done! Not a problem for me, I used that rifle to hunt with to put meat on the table, I knew how accurate that rifle was. The next time I made sure the hole was well enlarged & won the contest :)
First prize was a powder horn I had made & donated! So I swapped it for second prize which was an inferior battery torch!!! :)
Keith.

I don't recall my 'best'. But, when I shot at Friendship I scored several 50s at 50 yards. These were in the buffalo (X-stick) matches. But, in that competition a 50 won't get you within smelling distance of a win. The winners are the tiniest 50-5X groups. Had a 100 yard rest win recently with a score of 45 that I'm pretty proud of.

I have punched 3 separate .54 cal holes DIRECTLY ON the "X" on my bulls eye target at 50 yards. This was done on 3 separate occasions one summer several years ago. This was the first shot from cold bore each time. I kept the targets but I moved in June of '17 and a bunch of my stuff went in the trash. Near as I can tell those targets were with it. My Dad witnessed it but he's gone now. Oh well.

My best group...

Was a buck and doe together. Shot her, the buck jumped up and while he was looking around trying to figger out where the shot come from, I reloaded and shot him. Ok so that wasn’t really a group, just a couple.

We now return to our regular scheduled program.

Difficult to recall many of my "better" targets. But I did shoot a 5 shot group at 50 yards that measured 3/4". The rifle was a .36 SMR and 30 grains of 3F. And don't even dream of asking me to do that again.

THE QUESTIONER DIDN'T SPECIFY WHETHER THE GROUP WAS SHOT OFFHAND OR FROM A BENCH REST.
BENCH REST I SHOT AMAZINF ONE HOLE GROUPS CONSISTENTLY, OFFHAND I'M A TERRORIST ALL OVER HE PLACE, SOMEWHAT EMBARRASSING IN FACT.

DR5X

Here’s mine. Probably won’t believe it,though. 50 plus years of ML and shot the best group, 5 shots at 50 yds this summer, witnessed. 5 into .23in ctc at 50yds. With a Lyman Great Plains .50cal, 70 gr Goex Cart 2fg, .015 thk precut patch, std open Lyman sights. Told you you wouldn’t believe it. Better than all my custom barrels and rifles,ever. Some luck involved, I’m assuming.

Five shots at fifty yards under one inch clover leaf, x all gone. 70grains under.526 ball and .15 spit patch from cross sticks with a green river barrel. I think the company is long since out of business.

I've never shot at deer offhand. From a solid field position or a bench I can get by and hit what I aim at. Offhand it's more of a "to whom it may concern".

A 46 out of a possible 50 at 100 yds. offhand. This was using an old CVA single trigger Kentucky That Gun would shoot !! Won a bunch of stuff with that Gun, along with my younger Eyes !!

F1D8D94C-F744-4A86-8E1A-DB98A4C031D9.jpeg
Good enough that I kept the target, 50 yards offhand at a club match. Shooting a rifle I made with a Green Mountain barrel. Load was 80 gr. 2fg .530 ball pillow ticking patch with spit.

Latest posts

Back