• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best glue for ball starter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to work on it tomorrow evening, we'll see how it goes. I am using a dowel rod, hope that works ok. It won't be real long so should be sturdy enough. Still not sure what to put on the end, maybe an old brass cartridge case. I have a few extra brass jags and such too.
Ranch Roper:
I'd gladly sell you one of mine, but I can't ship Antler across the border.:~(((((
God bless:
Two Feathers

The most common come back on a rifle is a r/r broken 6" to 10" above the tip. Mostly it's folks not using a short starter , so I keep a bucket of short starters to hand out . My wife is a machine knitter and usually has numerous wooden thread spools to discard. The other part of a short starter comes from the cut off ends from shortened r/r's and a little wood glue. easy and cheap way to solve a common r/r problem...........oldwood

I ordered some stuff from Crazy Crow awhile back and 2 items were antler nipple pick and antler starter. They contacted me and there was like an extra charge they had to pay the gov’t to export antler stuff. Wasn’t worth it.
Plus, what kind of a muzzleloading guy buys stuff? We all make our own right? :)

Last edited:
I ordered some stuff from Crazy Crow awhile back and 2 items were antler nipple pick and antler starter. They contacted me and there was like an extra charge they had to pay the gov’t to export antler stuff. Wasn’t worth it.
Plus, what kind of a muzzleloading guy buys stuff? We all make our own right? :)
Ranch Roper:
There are still a FEW guys who buy accoutrements Thank God. My business wouldn't exist there weren't. ;) :thumb:
God bless:
Two Feathers

Here is my hand saver for the range. Epoxy worked fine.

39B00ABF-906E-4C4C-9621-EBC84B556619_zpsfgeg6mjq.jpg

It's in the clamp overnight, will check it tomorrow. Knarly old antler top, ended up using a brass rod so I can use the jag or remove it for use elsewhere. Sure seems pretty stout. The fit was super tight and used Gorilla glue.

Epoxy is great stuff. I use the five minute type often, but do believe the long term set is stronger. Be sure and rough up the mating surfaces. Pinning would be stronger, but since it will only be used for pushing, could be omitted. A ramrod however, would greatly benefit from being pinned.

Going to work on it tomorrow evening, we'll see how it goes. I am using a dowel rod, hope that works ok. It won't be real long so should be sturdy enough. Still not sure what to put on the end, maybe an old brass cartridge case. I have a few extra brass jags and such too.
I put nothing on the ends. Usually I use cut-offs of hickory ram rods. The ends are cupped the fire hardened. I have one that has been in use for decades, still on good condition. BTW, seeing modern ammo being used for accessories in this game just makes me erp.

Ranch Roper:
They look great. Very creative. I like the little "pointy" bit too.
Here's two I just finished this morning. I'll be listing these shortly.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Attachments

• New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 001 edited 30.jpg
    New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 001 edited 30.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 70
  • New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 002 edited 30.jpg
    New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 002 edited 30.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 70
  • New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 003 edited 30.jpg
    New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 003 edited 30.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 65
  • New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 004 edited 30.jpg
    New Ball Starters, 1-16-2021 004 edited 30.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 68
I put nothing on the ends. Usually I use cut-offs of hickory ram rods. The ends are cupped the fire hardened. I have one that has been in use for decades, still on good condition. BTW, seeing modern ammo being used for accessories in this game just makes me erp.

Ya I looked a few brass cases I had but it just didn't seem right so I went with a brass rod.

JB Weld.
I filled the pores of the elk antler with crazy glue to make it harder and non porous.
Then stood hickory in 1/2” or so of crazy glue to make it tougher hopefully.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 50
Back