• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best glue for ball starter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree stick with the original stuff and shy away from the cheaper stuff. I bought a few tubes of Harbor Freight's version of JB Weld last year and what a waste. Next to worthless could describe it. And I wholeheartedly agree on the crosspin.

Wood to antler...what are you guys using to stick ‘em? Thanks ahead of time.
In my opinion (for what ever it is worth) there is no exit exertion on a ball starter rod anyway. Why be concerned like we are with a RR that would be used to pull a bullet? I rough up the antler and use good old Elmers wood glue. Using a good fit of course!

I use whatever is at hand. However, I most often choose Titebond II or TB III. My last choice is epoxy because it becomes brittle and can fail. I have made many of these and never a problem. I do not cross pin.
I have to agree with Rifleman 1776, when working with antler Titebond is my go to glue. They even have a hide glue for traditionals.

Gorilla super glue, and a cross pin. Regular gorilla glue also works just remember to dampen the parts before putting them together.

Going to work on it tomorrow evening, we'll see how it goes. I am using a dowel rod, hope that works ok. It won't be real long so should be sturdy enough. Still not sure what to put on the end, maybe an old brass cartridge case. I have a few extra brass jags and such too.

I use old brass pistol casings, use a Dremel or belt sander to remove the stampings on the head of the casing then take the Dremel with a proper sized ball cutter to enlarge the primer pocket, smooth it all out where you cut with a bit of fine emery cloth, then mate it to the shaft of the starter once proper fit is established glue the casing in place, drill a small hole through the casing with a small counter sink on the holes use a small finishing nail through the casing and shaft, snip off the extra nail sticking out both sides of the case peen in place and sand the peened nail smooth to the casing. A proper sized piece of dowel will work just fine.

I like the slow curing epoxy. I also drilled a small hole in the end of the ball starter to help the ramrod with a tight fitting ball.

Attachments

• 20210115_065706.jpg
    20210115_065706.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 118
I agree stick with the original stuff and shy away from the cheaper stuff. I bought a few tubes of Harbor Freight's version of JB Weld last year and what a waste. Next to worthless could describe it. And I wholeheartedly agree on the crosspin.
I had the same issues with the HF version of JB Weld. Yes, cross pins are a must!

Back