• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best food ever while out hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a younger fellow my bigger brother would try and cook possums, muskrat, and crows. One time a snapping turtle I caught while catfishing. The possum was pretty good, he cooked it like a pot roast. I don't remember the muskrat. The crow was like sisal rope, completely inedible. The turtle was disgusting, but we were 14 and 15 years old. Coming home one night he witnessed a barred owl getting hit by a car right in front of him. He brought him home and cooked him up and I was the only one to try it. I had a leg, the talons still on it. I remember that it wasn't too bad! We were a strange family! The possum and muskrat came from my trapline. I don't know if I would eat these things today!!
I've eaten crows a lot. Very tasty.

#1 Sardines
#2 Canned Chicken
#3 Canned Tuna
#4 Small can of Bush Beans (eat cold)
#5 Lance packaged crackers
#6 Butterfinger candy bars
#7 1/2 pt of Allen's 100 proof ginger flavored Brandy
#8 Days Work chewing tobacco
Number 7 for sur, I like toasted carmel bourbon

One thing I remember eating was the bait mix dad made when we used to go animal trapping for NPWS with Elliot traps. It was a mix of dried fruits,nuts,and rolled oats,all mixed up in honey. Coming to think of it,it was probably some form of breakfast muesli. Any way,it was my job to carry the bait tin while dad carried the traps.....often it seemed the bait tin would be empty quite prematurely.....😁
Funnily enough I don't ever remember dad getting angry at me for that. Plenty of other things,but not that. 🤔

When I was a younger fellow my bigger brother would try and cook possums, muskrat, and crows. One time a snapping turtle I caught while catfishing. The possum was pretty good, he cooked it like a pot roast. I don't remember the muskrat. The crow was like sisal rope, completely inedible. The turtle was disgusting, but we were 14 and 15 years old. Coming home one night he witnessed a barred owl getting hit by a car right in front of him. He brought him home and cooked him up and I was the only one to try it. I had a leg, the talons still on it. I remember that it wasn't too bad! We were a strange family! The possum and muskrat came from my trapline. I don't know if I would eat these things today!!
You sound like a Florida hunter. That's where I've seen the most barred Owen's. They're some neat birds. They always fly over to watch what I'm doing when I'm in their territory. I've never seen another type of bird do that.

I even had one give me one loud Hooooooooo! when I did that eight-note hoot at him that they always do.

Yeah, there are a lot of them around here. Some nights two or three of them will light up the forest with their urgent calls! My house is pretty remote and those bad boys will in the woods right off the porch. Love 'em!!

One day four of us decided to go on a Fayette Co. Pa. all day black powder ringneck pheasant hunt. Usually these forays would go morning until late afternoon , with little refreshment. We had never hunted with two of the coal miners , but knew of them to be good Slovak guys. One guy had this over shoulder cloth bag with him , with something bulgy in it .. About noon , we all set down on a hill top , and the cloth over shoulder bag was opened. It contained coal miner food , the fellow called Pepperoni Rolls. He said coal miners would wrap each one up , and just carry them in your mine coat pocket. Break time came , and the hard work made the meat rolls taste pretty daggonne good. Pork Sausage , and ham , could be substituted instead of the pep. Just roll out Pizza dough , put in meat , and bake . yum...Real Hunkie food..........We got some birds , and didn't go home hungry..........oldwood

Yeah, there are a lot of them around here. Some nights two or three of them will light up the forest with their urgent calls! My house is pretty remote and those bad boys will in the woods right off the porch. Love 'em!!
I especially get a kick out of listening to a pair of them hooting at each other in that way that makes them sound like monkeys.

Read a book years ago about a raiding party of Indians traveling back north out of the Susquehanna River valley of Pa.. Aemale prisoner going with the party , mentioned that the Indians caught two porcupines to use as fast food on the march. At end of the days march , the porcupines were thrown onto a good fire and the quills were burnt off. Next porky was opened up and the insides cooked on sticks over the fire. Always wanted to try this , but just not brave enough............oldwood..............PS........Road kill porky's make good bear bait. Used to use 'em to locate where bears were frequenting a place. Put the road kill porky in the fork of a tree , high enough only a bear could reach , then ya can follow the trail of quills to see where bear was going. More strange hillbilly entertainment.

So you've been up on the 14,000 feet mountains! Ponderosa man, exertion is hard up there!!
It was so long ago, we moved from CO when I was twelve (I’m 50 now), my pop had dreamed of climbing all of them in the state. Between 10 and 12, we did eight. One of my favorite memories of climbing 14’ers was on Mt. Beirstadt. We were coming down from the summit and the weather, which had been coming in on us all day had unexpected opened up and the sun peeked through the clouds and you could see the dark blue sky. It’s markedly bluer up there. We stopped to rest and I laid back on the heather and the wind coming down from the Saw Tooth flew by above me since I was on the ground and protected from being low like that. I was overcome with a dank sleepiness and closed my eyes safe under the big sky with my pop watching over me. I don’t know how long he let me sleep, but I have never had a nap before then or since that was so peaceful and rejuvenating.

One time I remember getting up at 4:30, eating a light breakfast and heading to our hunting lease, I hunted way past noon and got back to our hunting shack tired and VERY hungry. I remembered an MRE that I had thrown under the seat of my truck, dug it out and added water to the heater to warm the entrée up. I was so hungry that MRE really hit the spot, I ate everything in the pack that was deemed edible, I was famished.

Another time I left the house in a rush and didn't take any lunch, I planned to stop by a country store on my way and pick up the usual potted meat and crackers for lunch. When I got to the store it turned out they were going out of business, the shelves were almost bare, the only thing left was three tins of sardines, I bought them all, there were no crackers. When I came out of the woods at lunch starving I downed all three tins of sardines, big mistake, they didn't set well on my stomach, made me nauseous and wishing I had stopped at one tin. I burped sardines for the next week. I tried a tine of them a year or so ago and found I still couldn't stand them.

When I came out of the woods at lunch starving I downed all three tins of sardines, big mistake, they didn't set well on my stomach, made me nauseous and wishing I had stopped at one tin.
I've been there with a few types of food before. It's no fun getting queezy from eating too much, too fast after having starved oneself when really busy. At least you kept those sardines down.

Back