• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best food ever while out hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favourite meals when we used to pig hunt was " neds corner stew ", which was essentially a perpetual stew into which we threw whatever we caught or shot or had left over for the 4 days we were there over Easter long weekend.
My wife's family had a tradition for multi day social events. They called it "nail soup". It was made by putting a large pot of water on to boil and then tossing in a nail. From then on participants added their own ideas on what should be in it.

I took a trip up to Canada several years ago. Took a few cans of Spam. Decided to do shore lunch one day unfortunately fish did not cooperate so we fried up spam with taters and onions.

Kippered herring and summer sausage over a sunflower heater while deer hunting. Special note,! Cooking herring in a deer stand produces lots of smoke,weird looks from passing hunters and lots of curious deer

In my neck of the woods it is a heater that screws on top of a 20 lb propane bottle

My brother and I cook all kinds of stuff while we're deer hunting we have competitions to see who can cook the most outrageous thing

When I was a younger fellow my bigger brother would try and cook possums, muskrat, and crows. One time a snapping turtle I caught while catfishing. The possum was pretty good, he cooked it like a pot roast. I don't remember the muskrat. The crow was like sisal rope, completely inedible. The turtle was disgusting, but we were 14 and 15 years old. Coming home one night he witnessed a barred owl getting hit by a car right in front of him. He brought him home and cooked him up and I was the only one to try it. I had a leg, the talons still on it. I remember that it wasn't too bad! We were a strange family! The possum and muskrat came from my trapline. I don't know if I would eat these things today!!

Never had beaver. We sure cooked up some woodchuck. It was a long time ago. I used to hunt them with my old JC Higgins single shot .22. They could be tough to kill ! I was a pretty good shot, but sometimes those old boys could absorb two, three shots before they stopped moving. We cooked them a few times, so they must've been fairly tasty!

Back