• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best food ever while out hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I was a kid in the 70's, we'd hunt a big piece of land near Sugar Hollow in Virginia. Lots of whitetails, bear and bobcat. There was a run down old cabin there beside a rushing brook at the foot of Carr's Ridge where my dad and his friends would stay. Breakfast would be served up about 5:30 am. One day, about 1:30 in the afternoon, I found myself high up on the mountain, hungry as the dickens, far from the cabin and victuals. I actually considered shooting a squirrel and building a fire. Then I felt something in the pocket of my capote (I was cool back then! My mom had made it for me. White, candy stripes!) My goodness! I retrieved it! A nice pancake, spread with strawberry preserves, rolled up and wrapped in wax paper! My dad (the cook) had slipped it into my pocket without me knowing it! It is, to this day, the most wonderful, satisfying, unlooked for meal that I have ever enjoyed! I washed it down with rushing water and took a brief nap. Supremely satisfying!!

My favorites in the field when hunting were ring bologna and Ritz crackers when I was younger and summer sausage and Ritz these days. When I was a kid My mom made biscuits nearly every day. I would take a couple of cold Biscuits put a thick slice of onion on each one with Mayo and salt and pepper. Poor people food but kept me out in the woods all day.

A Tin of sardines ( oil , proteins , salt ) a chunk of Cheese ( energy ) crackers (carbs) .or very squashed bacon and egg sandwiches in a zip lock bag . Usually gets forgotten and carried the next day .
Fresh deer heart cooked in garlic butter on a Jet boil fry pan is a tasty treat as well .

Last edited:
A Tin of sardines ( oil , proteins , salt ) a chunk of Cheese ( energy ) crackers (carbs) .or very squashed bacon and egg sandwiches in a zip lock bag . Usually gets forgotten and carried the next day .
Fresh deer heart cooked in garlic butter on a Jet boil fry pan is a tasty treat as well .
Curious, not just for your answer, but for anyone else who brings a tin, or three, as trail food. I do as well....
What do you do with the tin when finished?
What about other items that got oil from the sardines on them?

I recall the family hunts we did when I was a kid (12 to 18)…when I’d head out in the morning to hunt, I’d take along a hard-boiled egg, few strips of cold cooked bacon, a couple candy bars or some granola…and a fire starting kit. We’d regroup mid morning, have a great lunch and then head out again for the afternoon/evening hunt. Then back to camp for a solid dinner.

If anyone filled a tag, we’d all come together and bring the animal into camp…

While in camp a big dutch oven cooked roast with potatoes and veggies. While hunting 24 years ago I remember a cool mid day while javelina hunting in eastern Arizona. I had two Farmer John sausages in a plastic bag, some rat cheese(cheddar)and a canteen of water. Good meal, good memory.

When out for a day of hunting or fishing, it’s gotta be crackers and Vienna (vienny in East Tennessee) sausage or potted meat.

When camping several days, fresh caught fish and fried taters fixed over an open fire.

Once hunting deer in Mi UP, 3 of us had walked for hours in knee deep snow. Dog tired and hungry we got together mid afternoon. I always carried a can of spam for survival food. I broke an old gray stump and built a fire. I cut the spam into 3 long slices and run a green stick thru each piece. Roasted like hot dogs, the spam is still remembered after 50 years.
1654702478372.png

When I was a kid in the 70's, we'd hunt a big piece of land near Sugar Hollow in Virginia. Lots of whitetails, bear and bobcat. There was a run down old cabin there beside a rushing brook at the foot of Carr's Ridge where my dad and his friends would stay. Breakfast would be served up about 5:30 am. One day, about 1:30 in the afternoon, I found myself high up on the mountain, hungry as the dickens, far from the cabin and victuals. I actually considered shooting a squirrel and building a fire. Then I felt something in the pocket of my capote (I was cool back then! My mom had made it for me. White, candy stripes!) My goodness! I retrieved it! A nice pancake, spread with strawberry preserves, rolled up and wrapped in wax paper! My dad (the cook) had slipped it into my pocket without me knowing it! It is, to this day, the most wonderful, satisfying, unlooked for meal that I have ever enjoyed! I washed it down with rushing water and took a brief nap. Supremely satisfying!!
That's wonderful, especially because your dad made it for you! My wonderful food memories out in the woods are of things like canned Vienna sausages, for which you need a pair of truck keys to extract the first one out of the center.

Back