• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best food ever while out hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read a book years ago about a raiding party of Indians traveling back north out of the Susquehanna River valley of Pa.. Aemale prisoner going with the party , mentioned that the Indians caught two porcupines to use as fast food on the march. At end of the days march , the porcupines were thrown onto a good fire and the quills were burnt off. Next porky was opened up and the insides cooked on sticks over the fire. Always wanted to try this , but just not brave enough............oldwood..............PS........Road kill porky's make good bear bait. Used to use 'em to locate where bears were frequenting a place. Put the road kill porky in the fork of a tree , high enough only a bear could reach , then ya can follow the trail of quills to see where bear was going. More strange hillbilly entertainment.
Porcupine meat is good eats....
Not too sure about the insides though,,, I'm not one for eating organs other than hearts.

Porcupine meat is good eats....
Not too sure about the insides though,,, I'm not one for eating organs other than hearts.
In Korea, they sell sausages (called soondae) made from pig intestines stuffed with chop-che noodles and blood--when they're cooked, the blood solidifies around the noodles, so it's more of a thick gelatine-like consistency, and it tastes delicious. The old gals have the soondae coiled up on a steamer with the pig's chopped up lungs, liver and heart.

Believe it or not, the lungs are even better than the hearts. If you try it, you'll harvest those out of anything you catch.

We share similar memories! We lived near Evergreen, Colorado in my youth. We'd make trails thru the lodgepole pines and the aspens to try and learn how to down hill ski. Probably the trails were only 100 yards long, winding around the trees, but man what fun!! I never became a great skiier!
Probably would have been safer to go over to the golf course. 🤣 when the wife and I were first married we would go up there and tube on the golf course. Probably not allowed now. That was over 50 years ago.:eek:

Thanks for reminding me of those fun times.

Not a hunting trip but I remember packing in maybe 20/25 miles to a lake in the Siskiyous. Don't remember the name, maybe 2 acres, but it had been stocked maybe 7/8 years before by plane. 70/80 pound packs with a Guy that lived on Knox Gelitan and vitamin pills? :eek::rolleyes:
A REAL learning experience. :(
Crashed that night and rolled out in the AM to snow on the ground. Lake, dead clam/flat like a Mill Pond.
Throw a line in the Lake and it was like someone literally turned on the Jacuzzi! :eek::eek: Only lasted for about 10 to 15 minutes then flat calm again till the evening.
Couple of cans of New Potatoes and fresh caught Trout as hard as a rock? :cool::cool: ALMOST worth the hike to get there.

Latest posts

Back