• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best food ever while out hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I travelled many hundreds of miles on my bicycle in the 70's, primarily in Southwest USA, Idaho and Northern Mexico. My deal was: one meal a day at a cafe [usually breakfast], one cooked out at dusk and in the daytime, as I rode, it was dates, cashew nuts, fig bars and banana chips. The daytime meal also served me well when hunting the Idaho/Montana mountains. There is a great deal of energy there, packed in a small and light package. Yummy too. Polecat

Waterfowling buddy was an executive chef who invited another chef - French, who worked in New Orleans for some time before moving to Missouri. Those two alternated on who was bringing lunch. Jacque hung ducks for days before cooking, Joe did not -breasting them out at the end of each day. I ate like a rich man on those hunts.

Salads, fresh pastries, dessert ...served on pickup truck tailgate. My personal best "hunting" food for those two seasons. Both worked for truly wealthy people who entertained lavishly. "Duck lunch" was what they created for themselves and I was the lucky guy to hunt with them. Made my infamous "deer chili" taste like cat food.

A Tin of sardines ( oil , proteins , salt ) a chunk of Cheese ( energy ) crackers (carbs) .or very squashed bacon and egg sandwiches in a zip lock bag . Usually gets forgotten and carried the next day .
Fresh deer heart cooked in garlic butter on a Jet boil fry pan is a tasty treat as well .
You had me with that tin of sardines. I also like a couple of tins of Vienna Sausages.
Cheese Cracker of course.

A Tin of sardines ( oil , proteins , salt ) a chunk of Cheese ( energy ) crackers (carbs) .or very squashed bacon and egg sandwiches in a zip lock bag . Usually gets forgotten and carried the next day .
Fresh deer heart cooked in garlic butter on a Jet boil fry pan is a tasty treat as well .
I would sometimes cook the liver as soon as the deer was dressed. A friend "liberated" c rations from his Guard unit. Would sometimes start the truck and set a canned entree on the exhaust manifold while I loaded gear into it.

Curious, not just for your answer, but for anyone else who brings a tin, or three, as trail food. I do as well....
What do you do with the tin when finished?
What about other items that got oil from the sardines on them?
Everything packed in is packed out…(except bodily waste and that’s buried).
As to sardine oil, an ounce of prevention is worth …..

Homemade jerky (no chemicals), homemade dried fruit and salted nuts with Gatorade powder for drink mixing. I take it all on long wilderness hunts as well as day hunts. Used to get severe and agonizing leg cramps after a full day hunting. Not any more. Whatever is in this combination satisfies my body’s needs.

I have tried my best to like Vienna sausages or even canned beans and franks. After the first few times I still can't make myself eat either one.

Bush's baked beans are good even cold and heated Swanson's chicken ala king over a piece of light bread is very good.

I grew up in a rural area of middle Georgia in the sixties and seventies. Mom cooked breakfast while I was taken care of chores then after eating I would slip off into the woods around the farm and hunt. I wouldn’t eat again till dark when I came in from hunting. Cows needed milking, chickens needed feeding and watering along with the hogs we raised for food. Wasn’t any need for cooking anything cause I hunted from house. But whether hunting or working I had a biscuit with a little cane syrup and a piece of fried salted fatback wrapped up in aluminum foil to eat. Being my parents were born during the depression, I had to bring home all aluminum foil to be washed and reused.

When I lived near DC, I didn't get to do much hunting, but the company I worked for had two guided goose hunting trips on the Chesapeake Bay every winter. Frankly, I left my hunting jacket the way I came home until the next trip, even if it was the next year. Same left over shot shells, calls etc. Well the first time out one year, I was reaching into an inside pocket where I kept a paperback book to read when things were slow. I felt something like crumpled paper and came up with a paper bag of beef jerky that had been in the pocket since the previous January. Still dried out, tasted great. When my grandmother died, many of the relatives met at her house to clean it out. In the attic was my grandad's very old blanket lined brown duck jacket. It still had a 1953 hunting license attached and a bunch of ancient rimfire 22 shorts in the pocket. Along with a very old half pint bottle of ginger brandy. Still had the tax stamp across the sealed cap. The stuff had turned dark like dark molasses. There were some old 1952 political brochures from the American Constitutional Party, which still elected some local candidates in the 1970's. That was in 1981 and grandad passed in 1956.

Latest posts

Back