• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think this is enough?

Attachments

• 20210616_165044.jpg
    20210616_165044.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 102
I've had best results with flints from Rich Pierce and the English black flints I get from Track of the Wolf. I don't think Rich makes flints anymore and glad I loaded up on them a while back. I've always gotten the most shots and consistent sparks from these.

If I lived in an area that had suitable rocks, as you do, I would learn to chip my own, if only as a hobby.

Jeff
Hello,
I just bought a Tradition flintlock for my grandson and would like to purchase some flints from Rich Pierce. Do you have a latest contact information? I purchased some from him several years ago for my TC Firestorm and the old contact evidently doesn't work. Thank you very much for your help.

Tim

tgeitner,

First, welcome to the Forum. It is a great place. And I hope your grandson enjoys the flintlock.

Sorry, my contact info is at least 5 years old. However, Rich does post on the Forum here so maybe he will see this.

For what it's worth if Rich's flints aren't available, try the black English ones. My first flintlock over 30 years ago was a Traditions (the model is no longer made) and it has always done well with the Black English flints. I never had much luck with the cut agate style.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

PS: I got the flinter at a gun show so long ago it was held in a university gym. :)

@tgeitner

Mr. Pierce no longer sells them. I like the black English or the amber/black French. Been using some of the French flints more lately and they seem to last a bit longer in my guns.

You can make your own flints, BUT there is just a bitt of a learning curve Rich P is great on advice. He said the frist 20 pounds of rock could be waist( and he was right) 20% return(or 80% waist per rock even afteer the curve) the white is your burlington the grey is texas chert both spark great . I use the grey in my guns (my son sends it to me from out west)DSC03192.JPGDSC03191.JPGDSC03223.JPGDSC03219.JPGDSC03227.JPG

just about the time the chips start to cover my shoe tops, I know I am about to finish a flint. if it doesn't break while i am sharpening the edge.
a member sent me some Burlington from MO. it came from a stream so i heat treated it. that stuff is harder then kelsey's ....uts!

Attachments

• 20210702_162930.jpg
    20210702_162930.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 46
What happened to Neolithics they used to send you chunks of black english. ???????

I'm guessing supply shortages or prohibitive costs (or both), but who knows. I've been meaning to try out some of their Georgetown ($3.50/lb is pretty reasonable).

Me too I prefer the Englishes black, but the French blonds are really cheaper, this is the reason I always have Englishes and French : French cheaper = stones for everyday, yesterday I used a French blond and after forty shot it stays working without knapping ...
wait a minute there horse! I am and have been married to a French Blonde for 54 years and i can garrontee there ain't nuthin cheap about a French blonde.
joking aside, the above mentioned are my in the drawer for hunting season flints. my every day flints are ones i knapp from Burlington and Georgetown chert. both give me around 25 shots before i have to re-knapp.
wife is a French blonde, mixed with some other interesting groups.

Back