• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a WIDE variety of flints in a wide variety of guns size ranges from 3/8 to 1.25 and most defiantly some locks like different types of flint. Often people feel they can get more shots out of a flint by changing the flint when in truth they need to be looking at the lock itself. Some locks are much more destructive than others and a flint less prone to breakage will work better.

Can you please advise where I can find the "Burlington and Georgetown chert". Thank you, Tim

Often people feel they can get more shots out of a flint by changing the flint when in truth they need to be looking at the lock itself. Some locks are much more destructive than others
The geometry of the lock and the fit of the flint is true but more so with a good stone.
"Good geometry, good stone, good fit, good priming"...
That's what my grandfather used to tell me, a little over sixty years ago now...

My go to flints are the black English flints but I really like the French ambers, but they are a little brittle and I don't get as many shots from them.

Back