• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best ever woods walk station?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In another thread I brought up the subject of woods walks, my favorite way to shoot....golf with guns. Which got me thinking about my favorite station EVER!

So, we had a running deer target similar to BPMS's running boar but we put it on a steel cable that was on an incline and it would run down the cable on its own weight when released...but wait there is more.

So, you lay your rifle on the bank, jump in the creek and fish out a trap that is submerged in the water (the trap chain is attached and visible on a nearby tree root) you set the trap, this usually has to be done on your knee, your standing in water, show the spotter the trap is set and then unset the trap by usually hitting it on the tree root and dropping it back in the water for the next guy.
When the trap snaps shut the spotter releases the deer target and you have to pick up your rifle and shoot the deer target before it disappears behind some bushes. Now off to the next target with wet moccasins and leggings. This was a timed event and the score on the deer added back some seconds to your time.

This was one station on a timed woods walk we used to do when I was a lot younger and I am sure some would say smarter.

What's your best ever woods walk station?

Mine was years ago at some rondy out west. It might have been Cache Valley anyway you had an assigned guide that walked you to each station. She read a story at each one. They had targets like Native Americans and you would have to tell her if you thought they were friend or enemy, if enemy you took your shot, if you were wrong she would say you just shot a friendly. You got points if you were right and you moved to the next station. I'll never forget when I did this one I was doing very well, I didn't shoot any friendlies and at the very end she told me a snow storm had moved in and I had minutes to start a fire with Flint and Steel. I got my tinder going in seconds. I thought I might win this, then she said oh but you started your fire by a rattlesnake and got bit and died. I was furrious and pulled my belt knife and threw it at the rubber snake cutting it nearly in two. We all had a laugh! I liked the story element of that one. Made me feel like a kid playing mountain man. That night at the fire counsel I did protest that a rattlesnake would not be out in a snow storm so they gave me an honorary award of a 6 pack of beer. I was happy!

My favorite is a rattle box target. The shooter stands at port arms with the hammer down. a ball is dropped in the rattle box which gives you about 2.5 seconds to mount your rifle, pull back the hammer, and sight in on a 8" gong about 40 yards out, hit the gong before the ball in the rattle trap drops into a can.

I have only experienced our woods walk. We have a few reactive targets, my favorite one intimidated me at first, "The Egg". This is where I learned aim small is a valid concept. I never miss it anymore but can miss a 2' x3' Buffalo at 50 yards. Go figure. Our egg now looks more like an arrowhead from being shot up, but I can still hit it.

Not politically correct, but one woods walk target I saw years ago was a cut-out of a, well, LARGE frontier woman holding a steel "frying pan" target in a threatening manner....

Our clubs woods walk has a rattle box also, we do it the same way except the shooter must catch the ball when it drops out of the bottom of the box. Or the shot does not score as a hit if hit. BJH

Long story short, It was a well hidden pop-up "Grizzly attack". He scored not by head/face shots, but the shoulder shot's, awareness and response time to the suddenness of it all.
Then the group was surrounded by a scattered "wolf pack" of targets.
The scenario was stumbling upon a Grizzly feeding on a recent kill with encroaching wolf.
It was just a plain well done presentation.

Last edited:
Back