• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BEST CONTAINERS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering which containers are the best for storing black powder. I know the original containers are best but I've purchased some powder from a fireworks supply company that has bulk powder but will repackage it in 1 pound metal containers for shipping. I have empty plastic containers of the same manufacturer. Which would be best for long term storage ? The containers it was sent to me are not sealed so that's not an issue. Leave it in the metal or transfer to plastic?
16370894580562494434545492913631.jpg

My powder from the fireworks guy came in a 2.2 liter plastic bag. I decanted it into empty cat treat screw-top canisters, but would like to find some 1/2-lb containers. Fits in my range boxes better. I am keeping my eyes open for some of them.

I keep my powder in the original steel or plastic cans in a plywood storage box that can be easily moved and has a lid that will blow off releasing the pressure if the stuff ignites. Years ago in Texas I had a steel and plywood dynamite box that came off a marsh buggy used for seismic oil exploration. Somebody needed it worse than me evidently because it grew legs and never came back.

Have shot powder from original unopened metal containers that was 25 years old w/ no problems. I like plastic as well , but warn folks to not store powder in glass containers. If dropped on hard surface , the glass might spark.

How is glass going to spark? There is no metal in glass to spark, it takes metal to produce sparks and not all metal produces sparks.

I keep my powder in the original steel or plastic cans in a plywood storage box that can be easily moved and has a lid that will blow off releasing the pressure if the stuff ignites. Years ago in Texas I had a steel and plywood dynamite box that came off a marsh buggy used for seismic oil exploration. Somebody needed it worse than me evidently because it grew legs and never came back.

You must have either a brother or sons.

I am with deerstalkert plastic does not induce Moisture, I still have Metal BP Goex cans in the basement and they have hints of rust here and there and that’s a heated finished half basement you would think no rust but it’s metal/tin or what ever there made of.

Back