• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best alloy for long bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried bullets with a 1-20 alloy tin/lead yesterday, resulting in a not better grouping. I shot with the same load of Swiss BP 2f - 55 grain.
I tried also pure lead bullets, same load, better results as the 1-20 alloy.
Bullets sized to load with tump press
Should I perhaps try shooting 3 f powder to bump up the 5% tin bullets?

In my 38s, for target shooting I use about 40 grains. Usually OH shooting but have proved to be very accurate from the bench when sighting in.

I tried bullets with a 1-20 alloy tin/lead yesterday, resulting in a not better grouping. I shot with the same load of Swiss BP 2f - 55 grain.
I tried also pure lead bullets, same load, better results as the 1-20 alloy.
Bullets sized to load with tump press
Should I perhaps try shooting 3 f powder to bump up the 5% tin bullets?
Definitely go to FFFg as it may get your bullets to obturate to groove diameter better. May reduce your fouling a bit, as well.

Hardness and pressure - time proven information based on 50 years of research by Richard Lee.
This is his pressure vs hardness chart.
TIN does have some effect on hardness, but is minor. But is absolutely great for making super smooth and shiny bullets.
According to my allow information -
Tin hardens lead by .1 BH per each 1 %
Antimony hardens lead at .9% per each 1%
A close check on hardness vs PRESSURE is the key to proper bullet hardness to prevent leading.
This information works, as I shoot lead bullets in my .308 up to 1800 fps using 24BH lead-tin-antimony without leading or fracturing.
The page below is from the LEE SECOND EDITION handbook on loading.
BHN- VS PRESSURE.jpg

I have a lot of pewter for end caps. does this work for a hardening bullet alloy.
Alloy content for pewter is very inconsistent. In bullets it would matter because accuracy is dependent on repeatability of all factors.
Without a repeatable alloy content - the will not be good consistency.
For end caps, it won't matter, for bullets it would.

Back