• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best 20 gauge Turkey loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Having been asked about the load and its makeup enough times, I will list the recipe here for reference sake.

I'm ignorant in the the ways of posting a link to some of the older threads regarding the load. If any of you are willing and able to do so, all the better. Some are a couple years old, maybe older. It seems some members are having difficulty finding them.

Powder charge
Nitro (hard) card
Shotload
Thin overshot card
Full fiber cushion wad*

*The cushion wad needs to be SATURATED (the wetter and heavier, the better) with oil. I like to use olive oil.

The load seems to shine best when used in cylinder bored guns.

Best of luck to all, Skychief."

"Having been asked about the load and its makeup enough times, I will list the recipe here for reference sake.

I'm ignorant in the the ways of posting a link to some of the older threads regarding the load. If any of you are willing and able to do so, all the better. Some are a couple years old, maybe older. It seems some members are having difficulty finding them.

Powder charge
Nitro (hard) card
Shotload
Thin overshot card
Full fiber cushion wad*

*The cushion wad needs to be SATURATED (the wetter and heavier, the better) with oil. I like to use olive oil.

Thank u I’ve seen it posted in reference but did not know I’m anxious to try it

80 grains 2F, full fiber cushion wad, 1.5-1.75 oz bismuth #6 (CA), fine cornmeal as a buffer, thin card.

I've never gotten bismuth shot to pattern as well as lead. The buffer improves the pattern somewhat.

Powder charge
Nitro (hard) card
Shotload
Thin overshot card
Full fiber cushion wad*

I'm fairly new to muzzle loading--and this will be my first year trying a black powder for Turkey. You can tell the season is around the corner, I was just thinking of making this very thread! I too will be trying for a gobbler with a 20 ga. Pedersoli smoothbore.

Just to make sure I understand the above, that is the order in that Skychief method right? Right now I'm doing:

1. Powder
2. Overpowder card
3. Cork wad
4. Shot
5. Two Overshot cards

If I were to modify it for the Skychief method:

1. Powder
2. Overpowder card
3. Shot
4. Overshot card
5. Cork wad

If so, what is the thought behind putting the cork last? Thanks!

Powder charge
Nitro (hard) card
Shotload
Thin overshot card
Full fiber cushion wad*

Thanks again for this information . I’m anxious to try

Make sure and pattern before hunting. I personally didn't have much improvement with the "SC" method but did notice changes in my pattern with variables such as powder charge, full -vs- partial fiber wads, OS cards used in place of OP cards between powder and shot, powder charge -vs- shot charge. Finally just sent my barrel off and had it jug choked.

Make sure and pattern before hunting. I personally didn't have much improvement with the "SC" method but did notice changes in my pattern with variables such as powder charge, full -vs- partial fiber wads, OS cards used in place of OP cards between powder and shot, powder charge -vs- shot charge. Finally just sent my barrel off and had it jug choked.
Curious. My barrel is cylinder what was ur best load?

I'm fairly new to muzzle loading--and this will be my first year trying a black powder for Turkey. You can tell the season is around the corner, I was just thinking of making this very thread! I too will be trying for a gobbler with a 20 ga. Pedersoli smoothbore.

Just to make sure I understand the above, that is the order in that Skychief method right? Right now I'm doing:

1. Powder
2. Overpowder card
3. Cork wad
4. Shot
5. Two Overshot cards

If I were to modify it for the Skychief method:

1. Powder
2. Overpowder card
3. Shot
4. Overshot card
5. Cork wad

If so, what is the thought behind putting the cork last? Thanks!
Nope. Sorry.
The weird thing with the Skychief load is that it seems to allow for no substatutions or variation.
Almost every time someone reports back that they tried it with no pattern improvement we find that they changes something, even something small.
Correct loading order for Skychief,
Powder, nitro card, shot, thin card, oil soaked fiber "cushion" wad.

Even that thin "overshot" card between shot and oil soaked cushion wad makes a difference. Even exchanging the nitro card for something else makes a difference.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/skychief-smoothbore-load-recipe.113195/The very 1st post is the post.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/your-skychief-load-in-pictures.121544/

Nope. Sorry.
The weird thing with the Skychief load is that it seems to allow for no substatutions or variation.
Almost every time someone reports back that they tried it with no pattern improvement we find that they changes something, even something small.
Correct loading order for Skychief,
Powder, nitro card, shot, thin card, oil soaked fiber "cushion" wad.

Even that thin "overshot" card between shot and oil soaked cushion wad makes a difference. Even exchanging the nitro card for something else makes a difference.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/skychief-smoothbore-load-recipe.113195/The very 1st post is the post.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/your-skychief-load-in-pictures.121544/

I can't seem to find a concise answer to this--but I have a great deal of 1/8" over powder cards such as found here:

https://possibleshop.com/s-s-wads-shotgun.html
I read that nitro cards are the same as 1/8" over powder then I read that no, sometimes they aren't. Is the 1/8 over powder the 'same' as a nitro, just a brand name carrying over (Kleenex for all tissue paper as an example)?

I can't seem to find a concise answer to this--but I have a great deal of 1/8" over powder cards such as found here:

https://possibleshop.com/s-s-wads-shotgun.html
I read that nitro cards are the same as 1/8" over powder then I read that no, sometimes they aren't. Is the 1/8 over powder the 'same' as a nitro, just a brand name carrying over (Kleenex for all tissue paper as an example)?
Good question.
The ones sold as 1/8" "nitro" cards are very hard and dense. Inflexible.
Try what you have.

You can punch the thin overshot cards out of cereal boxes, cigarette cartons, or similar cardboard packaging if you don't have any.

I don't think the cork wads will soak up enough, if any, oil. Could very well be wrong on that though.

Good question.
The ones sold as 1/8" "nitro" cards are very hard and dense. Inflexible.
Try what you have.

You can punch the thin overshot cards out of cereal boxes, cigarette cartons, or similar cardboard packaging if you don't have any.

I don't think the cork wads will soak up enough, if any, oil. Could very well be wrong on that though.
I'll order the fiber wads, I agree that the cork looks unlikely to soak up much. Thanks for all the help!

I have not tried the Skychief load yet. I use the method I was told to use from the guy who made my 20 gauge fowler. I have a question about the Skychief method, although it must work given how many members swear by it. Is there not a hole in the pattern that would be caused by the oiled cushion wad sitting on top of the thin over the shot card? I was taught that the over the shot card was thin so as to prevent a hole in the pattern. Again, I am not questioning the effectiveness of the method. I am just curious.

I have not tried the Skychief load yet. I use the method I was told to use from the guy who made my 20 gauge fowler. I have a question about the Skychief method, although it must work given how many members swear by it. Is there not a hole in the pattern that would be caused by the oiled cushion wad sitting on top of the thin over the shot card? I was taught that the over the shot card was thin so as to prevent a hole in the pattern. Again, I am not questioning the effectiveness of the method. I am just curious.
I started this thread and have since done a lot of testing. In my gun the skychief load is a dramatic improvement over standard loading techniques. It does not produce holes in pattern but every barrel is different. Mine likes the 1 3/4 oz # 4’s with 80grs of 1 1/2 F swiss or in a duplex load it is 1 oz #5’s & 3/4 oz #4’s with 90grs of swiss 1 1/2 F. Can’t wait for turkey season. Good luck!!

Back