• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bessy on the rabbits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a lovely day here in England.
Hazy sun melted the frost and I talked to myself so as not to offend anyone being a subject of the realm and what have you.
Photographed some birds too. I'm on Instagram under the handle of softfrizzen.

Bessy belched at a long rabbit, a whopping 15yard shot. Alas the ball was lost the rabbit unable to arrest it.
IMG_20190215_093830.jpg

She missed a couple after that but then again hunting rabbit with a ball shot with 140 GRN of 1f is a bit to much really!

I did some testing of the ball loads also today and well to be honest I stand by what I always say 1 f is pants!
I also realized how much drop I'm getting at 50 yds, nearly a foot of drop! I needed to see a whole barrel to be on height wise at 50 yds! Something I have never had to do!
Give me 3f any day.

I revisited shooting shot again with 1f in Bessy, yep pants too. A volume for volume measure of 1f and 1&1/2 Oz of shot was puny. In desperation I tipped 1&1/2 of my pre measured powder vials and two shot vials for 3oz.
That was propelled at a thirty yard rabbit with good report and recoil.
IMG_20190215_144208.jpg

I swear I will never buy powder course than 3f again. The large stuff just don't get going enough unless there is a huge wasteful payload of shot and there is no advantage with ball.
With ball my conclusions for my Bessy are the same, she is deer ready to a long thirty yards and that's it. And as for shot I can get 1&1/2 Oz loads propelled quickly with the same volume of finer grades of powder that leave this 1f standing!

I used 2f in my Bess carbine at first, but have since found 1f to be my favorite. However, I have not patterned my light grouse loads, one ounce shot, 100 grains 1f powder...in that case 2 or 3f might be the better load. ?? But if you look left at the pic, you'll see that my Bessie doesn't do badly on grouse...in fact, never a miss. Don't really have a lot of wabbits around here, so I have never shot one.

It's been a lovely day here in England.
Hazy sun melted the frost and I talked to myself so as not to offend anyone being a subject of the realm and what have you.
Photographed some birds too. I'm on Instagram under the handle of softfrizzen.

Bessy belched at a long rabbit, a whopping 15yard shot. Alas the ball was lost the rabbit unable to arrest it.
View attachment 4731
She missed a couple after that but then again hunting rabbit with a ball shot with 140 GRN of 1f is a bit to much really!

I did some testing of the ball loads also today and well to be honest I stand by what I always say 1 f is pants!
I also realized how much drop I'm getting at 50 yds, nearly a foot of drop! I needed to see a whole barrel to be on height wise at 50 yds! Something I have never had to do!
Give me 3f any day.

I revisited shooting shot again with 1f in Bessy, yep pants too. A volume for volume measure of 1f and 1&1/2 Oz of shot was puny. In desperation I tipped 1&1/2 of my pre measured powder vials and two shot vials for 3oz.
That was propelled at a thirty yard rabbit with good report and recoil.
View attachment 4732
I swear I will never buy powder course than 3f again. The large stuff just don't get going enough unless there is a huge wasteful payload of shot and there is no advantage with ball.
With ball my conclusions for my Bessy are the same, she is deer ready to a long thirty yards and that's it. And as for shot I can get 1&1/2 Oz loads propelled quickly with the same volume of finer grades of powder that leave this 1f standing!

Where you hunt is it mostly wet? I see you wear rubber boots most of the time.

Back