• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess & Charleville disassembly & deep cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nickel, bravo. I have to applaud someone who owns and takes the best possible care of tools, and firearms are also that. It reflects PRIDE of ownership, and reflects well on the person who owns well-maintained items of any sort.

My father was born in Germany and worked as a master cabinet maker, and general contractor. He took pride in what he made with his hands. He would take the time to finish internal woodwork that would seldom or possibly never be seen, to close to the same degree of workmanship external surfaces had. Internal surfaces were not finish coated but otherwise done to the same degree the outer surface were.

Don't listen to people who tell you that you don't have to do something "extra" because it's not necessary. It's your firearm you bought with your own money, and it's your time.

Hi Pluggednickle,
Good on you for working over your gun and working on the lock. A well functioning lock is a safety feature. I urge you to review my thread on reworking a Pedersoli Brown Bess because in the series I describe tuning the Bess lock and how to improve the geometry. Certainly, your French lock is different but the principles still apply. I also urge you to paint the barrel channel with a varnish thin coating of AcraGlas. The coating will seal the barrel channel and add considerably to the strength of the forestock. Just make sure you scrape a little space (very little needed) in the channel for the coating. It looks like you have a nice musket and well worth any efforts you make to keep in tip-top shape.

dave
Hi Dave,
Yes, I will read your thread, especially the lock work part. I have already found that the fizzen, does not seat tight against the pan. It touches it in the front edge of the pan, but there only. It has a good .015"-.020" gap the rest of the pan. My micrometer eyeballing. I didn't take time to feeler gauge it. Anyway, a couple of faults perhaps. One, they did a poor job of fitting the pan, or two they drilled the hole in the frizzen/hammer too low on the lug. The pan seems to be on a sort of half dovetail on the frizzen screw end. This I assume is to help fit it and adjust the angle if needed. Drilling that hole it the pan is crucial to a good fit. I can see that. I can get a brass pan as cast (no holes) from Butch's Antique Gun Parts for $25.00, and a frizzen for less than that. I'm going to send FlinterNick a note about it, and see what he thinks. The as cast pan, had a high spot on the edge where it mates with the barrel. I have judiciously polished that out. Using a dowel by hand to polish the pan, coming along well, keeping edges sharp and unchanged. There are tool marks on the lock plate, especially by the sear spring. Main spring looks good, well polished. I like your tip on the AcraGlas. That would take care of future wood damage for sure, and add strength to the stock as well. I like a brass pan, even though one is not HC on the 1766. Easier to polish, but not as durable as the modern steel ones, Nick tells me the holes can wear on them much faster than the steel, and he prefers the steel. He also gave me the heads up on the brass pan when I mentioned I like them.
From my reading on the forum and WWW, a pan that doesn't fit tight with no gap is a pretty common fault on these reproductions. Kind of like the short arbor on Colt clones made in Italy. I've got an antique main spring vise that was my great uncles. It must be 100 years old or older. Still does the job just fine. He was a tool and die maker. Eddie Rickenbacker worked at his shop in Columbus, OH before WWI.
FlinterNich was a great help with my pan polishing routine. He uses a dowel shaped to size as well, only on his hand drill. I'm doing the sanding by hand going finer and finer as I proceed. I've got the time. Retirement is great. I don't hurry anything anymore!
My basement is set up nicely for these projects. I've been working on Cowboy guns, and modern ones for years.
Thanks for the advice. Keep me on the straight and narrow. Constructive criticism always welcome! That's what I'm here for. To learn, and hopefully avoid some of the mistakes others have made, and are eager to help newbies, avoid some of that grief! LOL
Hope those last two pics don't get me in hot water.
Screenshot_2019-01-26%20a64733712eea016775d79e_l__66458%201381953060%201280%201280%20JPG%20JPEG%20Image%20650%20%20488%20pixels%20-%20Scaled%2088_zpsn93hodsw.jpg
IMG_1090_zpskforbvhb.jpg
IMG_1088%20-%20Version%202_zpsexgwrhkk.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
I would not replace the pan. With regular cleaning a steel pan holds up just fine and will not wear very quickly. Filing a pan to fit the frizzen pan cover is not very hard. You just need to use a marker like inlet black or Prussian blue. If you decide to replace the pan and drill a new frizzen screw hole then take this advice. Clamp the frizzen in place and drill the small hole that will be tapped. Tap the hole in the lock plate or pan bridle. Then before clamping the frizzen in place a second time to enlarge the hole to clear the screw, take a very thin (<0.006") brass shim, bend it into a right angle (like angle iron) and place it under the back edge of the frizzen pan cover so it lifts the edge up a tiny bit off the pan. Then clamp the frizzen in place and drill through the frizzen and the untapped hole in either the plate or bridle. That will save you a lot of tears.

dave

Hi,
I would not replace the pan. With regular cleaning a steel pan holds up just fine and will not wear very quickly. Filing a pan to fit the frizzen pan cover is not very hard. You just need to use a marker like inlet black or Prussian blue. If you decide to replace the pan and drill a new frizzen screw hole then take this advice. Clamp the frizzen in place and drill the small hole that will be tapped. Tap the hole in the lock plate or pan bridle. Then before clamping the frizzen in place a second time to enlarge the hole to clear the screw, take a very thin (<0.006") brass shim, bend it into a right angle (like angle iron) and place it under the back edge of the frizzen pan cover so it lifts the edge up a tiny bit off the pan. Then clamp the frizzen in place and drill through the frizzen and the untapped hole in either the plate or bridle. That will save you a lot of tears.

dave
Thanks for the help Dave. I'm not sure if I understand you. The pan is already too low for the frizzen, except at the very front. It turns out at the back it is only .008" gap (you just knew I'd feeler gauge it huh?);), but that is more or less even from the hinge pin on the frizzen to the front of the pan. I can use Prussian blue, I have a bottle on hand, and file down the front of the pan, but that might close the gap a bit at the front, but the gap in the back would still be .008" as far as I can tell.
Let me tell you what I found with the lock. First the bridle screw wasn't even close to tightened. I could have screwed it out with my fingers. The cock screw not much better. The boss on the back of tumbler was still very rough cast, it was cutting into the lock plate, leaving semi-circles, deeper every time hammer was cocked or released. I will have to file, and then stone that. Most of the internal parts, tumbler, bridle, sear were still black as cast, with burrs, and needed polishing. Even the sear spring has a burr edge on it that was scratching the lock plate. I can and will address all these issues. I'm convinced more than ever that anyone who thinks their production lock is OK from the factory, hasn't took one apart, or doesn't know what to look for if they did.
That is why people make a living doing this kind of tuning for you. Funny thing is, the factory ground the frizzen bottom in the back only, where the gap is the worst! Go figure. The tumbler arm that the main spring rides on had a casting burr on both edges. The main spring has a nice polish but the burr was cutting a slot in it. I will get some pictures of all this, though I'm not taking time to set up the camera of macro photos. I should be able to get some of this stuff good enough to see what I'm talking about.
I'm confident now that this lock will be one heck of a lot smoother when I'm done. And smooth means fast lock time, minimum wear, and a crisp click, click when cocking.
I will keep the steel pan and continue with my polish job. I've got lots of polishing to do now. I'm going to start with the lock plate. I did use the brass punch that just fit inside the square on the cock as Comfortably_Numb suggested. No troubles one light tap and it was off. I didn't bugger any screws, I didn't gouge anything, no wood chips. In short I'm pleased with progress so far.
In all honesty to other members, who choose not to do ANY of this. I probably wouldn't myself, if I didn't already have the tools, and the skills to do it. Having back up if your run into a snag, is a blessing I'm not used to having. I've had to figure things out the hard way before, that often means mistakes, but you never forget those either! That tumbler sure was chewing up the lock plate. You'll see what I mean when I get around-toit, posting pictures! :)

If there are no signs of the springs or moving parts rubbing by the lock internals on the plate, there is no real need to polish and flatten the lock plate. It won't hurt of course, and you have all the parts removed anyway. You won't necessarily improve the overall quality of the lock.

I must admit that I admire and appreciate a highly polished internal surface of the plate.

IMG_1330_zpsesupsk8s.jpg

IMG_1332_zpsfjzksewg.jpg
IMG_1327_zpsswleq30l.jpg

If there are no signs of the springs or moving parts rubbing by the lock internals on the plate, there is no real need to polish and flatten the lock plate. It won't hurt of course, and you have all the parts removed anyway. You won't necessarily improve the overall quality of the lock.

I must admit that I admire and appreciate a highly polished internal surface of the plate.
see post at bottom of this link:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/bess-charleville-disassembly-deep-cleaning.112894/

Dave,
Man I have been studying your excellent thread on the Brown Bess! You sire are a true craftsman! Thanks so much for taking the time to share this. It is the wood work part of a build that worries me. I wasn't able to take wood shop in school. I have limited experience. And a mistake in wood can be costly, and even disastrous. Looking at that sear in your Bess lock, I guess I'm lucky mine wasn't a whole lot worse!
I have just started reading your piece on tuning the locks. My eyes are tired, and I'm starting to fade, with a long day tomorrow, early doctors appointment, and I'm not an early kind of guy!
I feel like I should be paying for these online tutorials you have made. I'm totally in awe of your work!
I'm going to post some pictures of my rough cast parts tomorrow or Tuesday, I hope. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi,
That is a nice lock. I've worked on several Pedersoli Charleville's and believe they are a better quality product than their Brown Besses. The lock is definitely better than the Grice lock on the Besses. Very careful filing and stoning the back of the pan using Prussian blue to mark contact should resolve the pan fit issue. For a musket, I don't get heartburn if I can still see a little light in places between the pan cover and pan when closed as long as it is just a sliver. The mainspring is shaped correctly. Note how there is still a slight downward bow to the lower leaf at full cock. It should be thus or perfectly straight but never bowed upward. I will say that the mainsprings on the Charlevilles I've worked on were all too heavy IMO. They benefited from grinding a heavier bevel on the lower leaf to reduce some of the power. You also may find that thinning and highly polishing the top leaf of the frizzen spring as helps. Opening the frizzen should not be really stiff. I certainly would lightly polish the inside of the plate a bit as well as any surfaces of the internal parts that rub against it. Note how the sear spring hits the sear right at the back edge of boss surrounding the sear screw. That is how it should be and makes it easier to adjust trigger pull. On many Pedersoli Besses, the spring hits the sear midway up the sear bar making trigger pull very heavy and harder to adjust.

dave

Hello and Howdy from San Antonio, Texas!

I always am unsure about whether it is best to "start a new thread" about an old and well-worn subject, or if adding to this old thread and resurrecting it is "poor form?"
My questions seem topical and germane to this already-started thread, so I thought I'd post here about a salvage of a second-hand musket I've just gotten:

I just acquired a second hand flintlock musket. A guy sold it on consignment. The consignee must have been a French and Indian War re-enactor. He started with a "Charlersoli Mle. 1766 leger" and modified the stock, stock fittings, cock, and sling attachments to make it resemble a Mle. 1728/46 for Seven Years' War impressions or whatever.

I acquired the musket from the seller in completely uncleaned condition, although externally it looked "just like in the pictures." I used the alcohol as drying step on the battery/steel/hammer, cleaned the flint, adjusted it in the cock, swept out the pan, but then discovered that the bore had been long neglected.

It was so bad, I started first with 12-ga. cotton patches with a tight fitting jag and Windex. Eventually, after pulling lots of filth and fouling and rusty crud, I switched to a Simple Green solution. I then decided to flush out the fouling with H20. So I used a bunch of hot water (I'll try normal "room temperature water" like some of you all do...)

I flushed the barrel with hot water until the rusty water was at the very end, while the initial pour off was clear (I'm sure the rust sank). Then I got some copper wool and cut it to patch-sized lengths and scrubbed the interior of the bore. The idea was to scrub out any active rust. The jag is so tight, however, that only a few strands of the copper wool actually contacted the barrel, I think. At any rate, I then ran several dry patches down the bore. After that, I used some WD-40 followed by additional dry patches. Finally, I put some petro-chemical modern gun oil in the bore, and stored it muzzle down while I tried to sleep. This morning, I gave it a treatment of oiled patch, J-B bore paste, oiled patch, J-B bore past, oiled patch, several dry patches. There are still orange/brownish "rings" on the patches, but the sheer volume of junk is greatly diminished from the initial Windex patches yesterday...

Obviously, the bore is toast. Still, it is a smooth-bore, so my hope is that it will not be as big a deal. What concerns me is whether there might be pits that could retain fouling such that smouldering junk could cause a safety issue when a new charge is poured down the barrel (seen that happen).

Hi,
That is a nice lock. I've worked on several Pedersoli Charleville's and believe they are a better quality product than their Brown Besses. The lock is definitely better than the Grice lock on the Besses. Very careful filing and stoning the back of the pan using Prussian blue to mark contact should resolve the pan fit issue. For a musket, I don't get heartburn if I can still see a little light in places between the pan cover and pan when closed as long as it is just a sliver. The mainspring is shaped correctly. Note how there is still a slight downward bow to the lower leaf at full cock. It should be thus or perfectly straight but never bowed upward. I will say that the mainsprings on the Charlevilles I've worked on were all too heavy IMO. They benefited from grinding a heavier bevel on the lower leaf to reduce some of the power. You also may find that thinning and highly polishing the top leaf of the frizzen spring as helps. Opening the frizzen should not be really stiff. I certainly would lightly polish the inside of the plate a bit as well as any surfaces of the internal parts that rub against it. Note how the sear spring hits the sear right at the back edge of boss surrounding the sear screw. That is how it should be and makes it easier to adjust trigger pull. On many Pedersoli Besses, the spring hits the sear midway up the sear bar making trigger pull very heavy and harder to adjust.

dave[/QUOTE
I think I've been calling the front of the pan the back and visa versa. I guess the back of the pan would be closest to the Cock, and the front closest to the muzzle. I can file and stone the back of the pan where the frizzen touches it now. But the thing is, the frizzen is level with and has an even .008" gap from that rear edge resting on the pan rear edge all the way to the front. If I hone the pan rear edge down a bit, the frizzen will still touch the rear of the pan, but it will put the gap like a wedge, not even. It seems to me either the pan was fitted too low at the front, where the frizzen screw goes, or the frizzen is too high at that point. I'm betting the pan was fit low. Since you say it's not that big a deal with these military muskets, and I don't expect to be hunting in a gale wind. It may be well enough the way it is.
Let me tell you what I found with the lock. First the bridle screw wasn't even close to tightened. I could have screwed it out with my fingers. The cock screw not much better. The boss on the back of tumbler was still very rough cast, it was cutting into the lock plate, leaving semi-circles, deeper every time hammer was cocked or released. I will have to file, and then stone that. Most of the internal parts, tumbler, bridle, sear were still black as cast, with burrs, and needed polishing. Even the sear spring has a burr edge on it that was scratching the lock plate. The tumbler arm that the main spring rides on had burrs on both edges that were cutting slot into the well polished main spring. I can and will address all these issues. I'm convinced more than ever that anyone who thinks their production lock is OK from the factory, hasn't took one apart, or doesn't know what to look for if they did. I may file/sand that main spring a bit too. I measured it at 12 pounds, which was actually lighter than I expected. The frizzen spring measured 4 lbs. 12 oz. which is also high. Polishing the top leaf may help that too.
I've got enough to keep me busy for a while. I've had an early morning Doctor visit with a surgeon early this morning. Nothing serious, out patient deal. And I'm off to the family doctor in an hour for the labs.
I'll keep you posted and try to get some pictures of those rough internal parts. The tumbler is the worst culprit. Causing most damage to lock plate, and main spring.

Dave,
Excellent advice as usual. :thumb:

I would add one thing if the owner is going to reenact with either musket and that is the fit of the bottom of the frizzen to the top of the pan may wind up being more critical than when otherwise shooting. I shot a lot of PRB's and some Shot loads out of my Brown Bess Carbine in competition and it never gave me problems, but I did experience some problems while reenacting. That because during loading and firing by the manual, I would lose some powder out of my pan on the movement "Cast About." Some other members of my unit had even more problems than I did. When I got my full length Pedersoli Bess in the late 90's/early 2000's, the pan fit was worse than my old Carbine.

I wound up using a wide/flat file wrapped with various grades of Emory Cloth (Sandpaper for Metal) to get that bottom surface flat and because the frizzen is hardened. I then used Dykem Lay Out Dye on the top of the pan, closed the frizzen, lightly whacked it a couple times with a rawhide mallet and then opened it to see where I had to file the pan to get it flat and "in agreement" with the bottom of the frizzen. It takes quite a few times repeating this procedure until very little light can be seen between the bottom of the frizzen and the top of the priming pan. (I'm sure they used candle soot in the period for doing this fitting.) However, once done, no more slinging powder out of the priming pan on the "Cast About" Loading/Firing Movement. I wound up having to do that on most of the Pedersoli and Miroku Brown Besses in our unit.

Gus

OK, some pictures of the 1766 David Pedersoli Charleville lock disassembled for inspection, de-burring, and polishing. I will post some more pictures of the pan, frizzen fit and progress later.
As I mentioned in another post, I checked on parts availability, price before I disassembled the lock. They are available, and they are not too expensive for my budget if I screwed a part up.
I took pictures before disassembly, during disassembly, after disassembly!
Arrows note scratches from rough cast parts rubbing lock plate. Rough boss on Tumbler
cutting grooves in lock plate, Burr on main spring gouging lock plate, unpolished internal parts, sear, bridle showing metal to metal wear, sear spring has sharp edge from being stamped out, it was scratching lock plate. Lock plate hole for tumbler shaft had sharp edge from drilling. I chamfered that with emery paper. Frizzen to pan gap is .007" at front of pan. Only place frizzen is seated on the pan is two rear corners at far edge of 95 degree bend from horizontal to vertical. I'm glad the cock screw was loose, or damage to lock plate would have been worse. Lock had only been test fired at factory one time, and I spark tested it myself (excellent results btw!), cocked several times to measure spring tension, trigger pull.
IMG_1336_zpsdrubbwes.jpg

Dykem was used on the pan to determine where frizzen (hammer) was making contact. Pan had a sharp edge at radius where it contacts the barrel. I have polished that out of it, and am in the process of finishing the polishing of the pan channel, using progressively finer wet/dry emery paper with a drop of oil. Sear, tumbler, and bridle all as cast, minimal polishing if any. Main spring was highly polished, but had burrs/high spots that were not removed.
IMG_1336%20-%20Version%202_zpsncuyjx62.jpg

Gap at front of pan/frizzen is .007" on the inside edge tapering to .006" at outside edge. .007" feeler gauge will not push through without lifting pan a tick, .006" will slip though to external side of lock.
IMG_1335%20-%20Version%203_zpsvdjudyjb.jpg

Sear spring has sharp edge where is contacts the lock plate, small burrs.
IMG_1335%20-%20Version%202_zps0quegvsw.jpg

Tumbler was removed by taping brass punch, just the right size to fit in square hole of cock, with a small plastic hammer. (per Comfortably_Numb's input), my old, used, and out of print copy of Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing by Sam Fadala and Dale Storey, showed using a smaller punch in the threaded cock screw hole. CN said he punched through a tumbler doing it that way. My tumbler came off with the slightest tap, leaving no transfer of brass from the punch on the rough steel end of tumbler shaft. It was a interference fit into cock square hole, but not really a tight, pressed into, interference fit. In other words, it's made to be disassembled/reassembled. I believe it is best practice to use the larger punch on the end of tumbler shaft, better safe than sorry.
What I have learned.
Pedersoli makes a great mass production piece. Better than most of the competition in my experience! They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Lock is sound, geometry is very good, but not ideal. Parts fit as they should, (with the exception of pan to frizzen fit), hand polishing is minimal, if at all, on metal to metal contact parts, Sear was unpolished. De-burring is hit or miss, both main spring and sear spring had sharp edges or burrs or both. Lubrication is minimal, or in the case of pan/barrel/vent area, in a location it should not be! YMMV. Main spring is heavy IMHO, mine was 12 lbs. 8-10 is better, but I was expecting it to be much higher. Geometry of springs is very good to excellent. Frizzen spring is heavy at 4 lbs. 12 oz., but it breaks easy due to good geometry on radius, and fair polishing of top of spring.

My take away.
Based on what I found, AND, input/expertise of other members, especially: Dave_Person, FlinterNick, Gus and others? I am pleased with the quality of the Pedersoli Charleville rifle. The lock is very nice, external finish is excellent! Lock geometry is excellent, four out of five stars, but not perfect. Pan was set low, boss drilled off a tad, and could have been honed a bit to improve, adjust for it. Frizzen is hard, excellent spark test! Lock will be much smoother after tuning, damage from metal to metal wear will be greatly reduced!
What I would do different.
1st thing, I would check all external screws to see they are at least snug, Cock screw was not even snug! Bridle screw was not even hand tight! I would take the lock down sooner rather than later. I wouldn't even spark test till I looked at lock internals. There is no damage to lock plate or parts that can't be addressed, fixed, polished/honed to improve. However, I could have saved myself some work, by not playing with the lock until after I inspected and tuned it.

Summary: Out of the box the Pedersoli 1766 is an excellent example of a mass produced production piece. It is not an exact HC reproduction of the 1766 Charleville musket. Stock is thick at wrist, piece is heavy as the 1763 Leger was (10.5 pounds) a true 1766 was 1.5 pounds lighter. The true 1766 had a button ramrod IIRC. It has a heavy barrel as did the 1763 as well. I like that! The barrel is polished inside and out. Very slick bore with a tight jab and patch. Stock comb is too high for some people. It fits me fine with the drop in the butt stock. American Walnut stock is nicely figured, dense, and beautiful, wood to metal fit is excellen! Dave_Person excellent? Probably not, but that is comparing apples to oranges. Dave makes custom, hand fit, HC if desired, master pieces he puts his talent and heart and sole into! And, he can defarb and make a production gun into a custom, HC masterpiece if you desire. Yeah, I'm jealous, can you tell? Kudos to you Dave, your my hero, and mentor! Tough, I will never have your talent, especially with the wood work!
The lock is better than most competitors, much better than some! Even better, I am told by those in the know, than Pedersoli's Brown Bess. It is an expensive smooth bore military musket. Is it worth the cost? If you don't want to pay more for a custom gun from one of the forum members, or other masters in the trade. If you are content with it not being HC in the stock geometry and barrel, and weight, and don't mind doing some tuning to the lock, my answer is yes! Even if you want a HC 1766, with lock tuning, there are master gunsmiths that will do that for you, defarb, correct stock, tune the lock. It is a matter of choice and how much you are willing to spend, and or do yourself.

For my part, I like the stock, always have. Some think the so called Roman Nosed, Calf Leg, comb is ugly. To each his own. I went back and forth trying to decide if I wanted a Bess or a Charleville. I decided I wanted something a bit different. All the SAR members in my Chapter have Bessies! As always, I read and studied up on the pros and cons of both. I am pleased with my choice, I love the looks of it. My 1861 Springfield has many of th e same features, and there is no doubt the Americans copied from the French design. I was delighted to learn how easy it is to break down for a deep clean, much less trouble than a Bess. In fact some Brown Bess shooters, never tear them down for a deep clean, worried they will damage the stock, barrel pins, tenons with repeated disassembly. To each his own. I like the brass pan, muzzle, and wrist inlay of the Brown Bess. In the end I chose the Charleville, and I am pleasantly pleased I did! Do I believe the Brown Bess is an inferior musket? Absolutely not, I'd be delighted to own one, and many of our members have both! Bess & Charleville! I'd sure love to! YMMV.

OK muzzleloading forum mind trust, have at me! You may say my opinions and advice isn't worth my forum name sake! You you wouldn't be the first to tell me that!:D Opinions, constructive criticisms, corrections, brain fart redactions, and most importantly, expert advice and tips/fixes are welcomed! Remember please, I am new at this hobby, and still have a LOT to learn.

Nickel

Great and useful post, Sir, for anybody with a mind to buying a new Pedersoli musket in the USA. Got to remember that over here in UK this replica is hitting North of $1500. For that, I'd want a piece that needed a lot less work on it than the example that you had. Quite how they travel 'all the way' from Iddly to here in UK and cost almost 25% more than you pay all the way over there remains a complete mystery to me.

Great and useful post, Sir, for anybody with a mind to buying a new Pedersoli musket in the USA. Got to remember that over here in UK this replica is hitting North of $1500. For that, I'd want a piece that needed a lot less work on it than the example that you had. Quite how they travel 'all the way' from Iddly to here in UK and cost almost 25% more than you pay all the way over there remains a complete mystery to me.
Right you are Sir! Perhaps, they feel since you can't go out and buy an AK, HK or AR at the local gun store, you chaps will ante up for one? Who can say? I feel your pain though. I would actually think there is a larger market in the UK as well since Muzzleloaders and smooth bores are legal, and many of the other options when it comes to modern arms are not. At least not for the average citizen.
Maybe Pedersoli supported Mussolini's (El Douchebag) regime in WWII, and are still sore about that butt whoopin' Just kidding, I think! ;)

The Pedersoli Charleville is more of a hybrid of both the 63 and 66 patterns, as it shares characteristics of both. The 1763 was a very flawed pattern, it was heavy, bulky and the comb was so high you couldn't aim the gun. Many of the 'true' 63's sent to America had reworked stocks in 1764 and were then still deemed very poor design. The Pedersoli pattern is an attempt to recreate that musket that was sent to America, about 8,000 were sent to America in 1776 and 77 along with many more of the 1766 light muskets. The major difference between the 63 and 66 being the barrel, and the lock and the barrel bands. The barrel was around 1.4750 from breech and tapered to around .950 at the muzzle at .73 caliber, that's a monster of a barrel ! the French did this with the intention of a long lasting life, Pedersoli's barrel I close to this design probably because of safety and proof testing. The 1766 musket barrels were lighter, miruko made a very Nice copy of the 1766 barrel, its almost spot on copied being actually slightly bigger in the breech. The original 63 lock was almost over 7 inches in length by 2 inches wide, it was a large lock with the intention of being bigger for easier service on forged parts, (bigger parts are easier to make). The barrel bands were bigger obviously to compensate for the large barrel and the front and middle band had an unusual sheath cover that acted as a spring, kinda looked like a tent spike.

In all I would say the Pedersoli Charleville is a perfection from the flaws of both original designs. The Pedersoli pattern uses a much stronger stock, the original 1766 was fragile, and often broke on the forearm. The barrel is equalized by pedersloli, not quite 63 as a barrel of that size would be very needlessssly heavy. The lock is still larger at 6 5/16 by 1 1/4.

My only real beef with the 1766 ledger model by Pedersoli is the front and rear barrel bands; the rear is a friction fit, it really should be secured by a band spring, the friction fit issue is that as you break down the musket for cleaning the band area will wear away and become less sturdy, then you'll have a band sliding on and off mid fire. I've actually seen this on the 1980's Pedersoli patterns. The front band I've actually never seen on any Charleville infantry musket, its shape is more consistent with a Spanish musket and a French Carbine. The swell at the bottom of the band is less pronounced on an original. its possible that Pedersoli wanted to recreate the long rammer tunnel without actually producing it but its something that I've always smirked at, however the front band works well and that's what matters most.

The French were too experimental with their designs, always messing around with band designs, rammer springs and stock patterns; but the one thing they were very good at were the locks. The Charleville lock in almost all patterns (including the earlier 1720-1750 patterns) were made very strong and very reliable.

in all the muskets the French made the 1766 stands out as the top quality gun likely why the Americans copied it almost exactly.

Nick

Right you are Sir! Perhaps, they feel since you can't go out and buy an AK, HK or AR at the local gun store, you chaps will ante up for one? Who can say? I feel your pain though. I would actually think there is a larger market in the UK as well since Muzzleloaders and smooth bores are legal, and many of the other options when it comes to modern arms are not. At least not for the average citizen.
Maybe Pedersoli supported Mussolini's (El Douchebag) regime in WWII, and are still sore about that butt whoopin' Just kidding, I think! ;)

Dunno about that. I'm the average UK citizen, and I have seventeen rifles/carbine and two handguns - six of which are BP, although not necessarily muzzle-loading. I do not have a single smoothbore firearm among them. But that might well change, since I'm getting a slow and insistent yearning for a musket of some kind to while away my autumn years.

Dunno about that. I'm the average UK citizen, and I have seventeen rifles/carbine and two handguns - six of which are BP, although not necessarily muzzle-loading. I do not have a single smoothbore firearm among them. But that might well change, since I'm getting a slow and insistent yearning for a musket of some kind to while away my autumn years.

That surprise me! I would never have guessed the average UK citizen has that many firearms! You can probably own revolvers for home protection, target shooting, without the ability to legally carry them loaded on your person. Any high capacity, detachable magazine guns in that group of 13 non BP guns? High caliber bolt action hunting rifles are probably legal, with paper work, registration, back ground checks, waiting periods huh?
I prefer the Swiss take on gun ownership. Every citizen a rifleman, full auto tactical guns in homes for national defense if needed. Strict immigration enforcement, and very selective low number of legal immigration. Enforcement and deportation of lawlesss illegals. Marksmanship and gun safety thought in early childhood. Funny, you don’t hear of too many OK corral shootouts or mass shootings in Switzerland.
Up until recently, My wife and I had 64 guns in our collection, everything from Airsoft, pellet, rimfire, to high power rifle, and large caliber pistol and revolver. Modern tactical guns with high cap mags, old school lever, SAA revolvers, Schofield, double SXS, pump shotguns, bullpups shoguns, collector C&R military guns, BP long guns and revolvers. The whole gambit, sans over and under trap/skeet guns.
I have been thinning our collection down in part due to just too many to keep up with, wanting to share the shooting sports with others, getting family into it. Supporting 2A in general. And getting older, so not shooting as much as we once did.
I would not say I am the average US citizen. Most have a gun or guns, average doesn’t have nearly so many as we have had, small percentage have more.
All our family have concealed carry permits, and we have ever since it was legal in our states.
We belonged to SASS for many years, both NRA members, I’m lifetime endowment, wife is annual member. Yeah, call me a gun nut! I take it as a compliment. NRA members, we don't do mass shootings, we stop them if possible! Ditto helping LEO's in life threatening trouble if need be. Our local sheriffs are great, 2A supporters. But, we live in rural county, not the big city. They always tell us, see you in 4 years when we renew our concealed carry permits. Life is good. For now. Let's pray it stays that way in the future.
IMG_1096_zps4hrpqafi.jpg

Last edited:
Frizzen is touching pan at rear corners only. I will hone slight burrs/casting bumps off corners of frizzen and try Dykem and feeler gauge to see improvement. And go from there. Oddly, the only place
the factory addressed rough cast on frizzen was to grind front of it near hinge pin. That is the part that doesn't even touch the pan. Go figure? Pan channel starting to brighten/smooth from polishing in 2nd picture.
Before: with rough ridge of casting on pan channel where it mates with barrel.
IMG_1330_zpsesupsk8s.jpg

After: Honed smooth with restored radius. Black magic marker on main spring denotes casting bump at transition to screw hole flat. Other marks are where the vise goes back on for reassembly.
Frizzen marked from flint, factory spark test, and my one test. Great shower of sparks, it is HARD!
IMG_1343%20-%20Version%202_zpsshbhtrh9.jpg

Below: Silver spot at top right corner in picture above pan channel is where frizzen is contacting, left side does too, but less so, hared to see in picture, probably will more once I hone bump on right corner a tiny bit.
IMG_1337%20-%20Version%202_zpshfmivn1s.jpg

Tumbler needs most work, it has a raised boss from casting that is rough as cob, that is what was chewing up the lock plate! Needs polished where main spring rides as well.
IMG_1341%20-%20Version%203_zpsnzslamhw.jpg

Dykem lightened at front of pan is from feeler gauge.
IMG_1343%20-%20Version%202_zpsyt1lxqgk.jpg

Mea Colpa, Mea Colpa, too lazy to set up macro attachment on camera. Pictures could be sharper. Hopefully you get the drift though.
Regulator went out of propane tank yesterday morning. I woke up to 55 degrees in the house. Got that fixed. Didn't get much done. Betty has been sick and cold, and spent all day yesterday in bed.
I dealt with the furnace/heat troubles, and keep the Golden Retriever busy.
I took these pictures today, but not much else. Betty still feeling weak and resting. Temp has been -25 degrees with wind chill today. Gagage door acting up too. doesn't like this cold, neither do I and Betty's bones LOL. Abby our Golden slept snuggled up to me last two nights. She turned 7 Jan 1st. Still laid out on the deck in the snow today, several times, but only for about 15 minutes and she was ready to come in. Running the humidifier non-stop. House was warm again by 1:00PM yesterday.
I may work on the pan/frizzen a bit once I get off here. You want it ready when? LOL Good thing I'm not getting paid by the hour anymore!

That surprise me! I would never have guessed the average UK citizen has that many firearms! You can probably own revolvers for home protection, target shooting, without the ability to legally carry them loaded on your person. Any high capacity, detachable magazine guns in that group of 13 non BP guns? High caliber bolt action hunting rifles are probably legal, with paper work, registration, back ground checks, waiting periods huh?
I prefer the Swiss take on gun ownership. Every citizen a rifleman, full auto tactical guns in homes for national defense if needed. Strict immigration enforcement, and very selective low number of legal immigration. Enforcement and deportation of lawlesss illegals. Marksmanship and gun safety thought in early childhood. Funny, you don’t hear of too many OK corral shootouts or mass shootings in Switzerland.
Up until recently, My wife and I had 64 guns in our collection, everything from Airsoft, pellet, rimfire, to high power rifle, and large caliber pistol and revolver. Modern tactical guns with high cap mags, old school lever, SAA revolvers, Schofield, double SXS, pump shotguns, bullpups shoguns, collector C&R military guns, BP long guns and revolvers. The whole gambit, sans over and under trap/skeet guns.
I have been thinning our collection down in part due to just too many to keep up with, wanting to share the shooting sports with others, getting family into it. Supporting 2A in general. And getting older, so not shooting as much as we once did.
I would not say I am the average US citizen. Most have a gun or guns, average doesn’t have nearly so many as we have had, small percentage have more.
All our family have concealed carry permits, and we have ever since it was legal in our states.
We belonged to SASS for many years, both NRA members, I’m lifetime endowment, wife is annual member. Yeah, call me a gun nut! I take it as a compliment. NRA members, we don't do mass shootings, we stop them if possible! Ditto helping LEO's in life threatening trouble if need be. Our local sheriffs are great, 2A supporters. But, we live in rural county, not the big city. They always tell us, see you in 4 years when we renew our concealed carry permits. Life is good. For now. Let's pray it stays that way in the future.
IMG_1096_zps4hrpqafi.jpg

I'm not too sure just how much sarcasm is in your reply, but let's just say that I can see the sneer from here. I did not imply that the average UK citizen has a lot, if any, of guns, just that I class myself as an average Joe. Many of the 400+ members of our local gun club have many more guns than I do, but my interests are somewhat eclectic, whereas they are collectors, some of whom have goodly numbers of variants of stuff like Mosins and Lee-Enfields - that kind of thing.

Of course you know full well that the UK has some of the most draconian gun laws on the planet, and what we can have, and do, not.

It's a reflection on your attitude to a long-time poster here [and sigforum - 9500+ posts, gunboards - 14000+ posts, northwestfirearms - 5000+ posts etc] that you seem to take great enjoyment out of rubbing my nose in all the things that you can do and have, and I can not.

Well, Sir, all I can say is 'whoopeedoo for you'.

Have a great day.

Me, I'm, off shooting a couple of BP rifles and revolvers.

tac - 33-year Army veteran - no reserve.

Back