• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beretta!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey is the CVA over under in any way related to the Beretta? I have had several
that I bought with parts from a defunct gun store in Illinois. One was new in
the box. I had a Kodiac double that cost me a lot more but I could hardly hold
it up,over 10 lbs, gave to Son. Just wondered about the CVA double O/U and
the Beretta being related.
They were two entirely different animals no relation at all.

I am afraid you have caused another problem which you will find out
Feltwad
Indeed felt wad was correct.
I am so in debt for his help. Hang on, there was no help!
I have accidentally lost the sealed breach by damaging the screws seat where it seals under the nipple bolster. When that is done gas can still escape from the threads in the breach plug. Pictures later.
Why am I posting this so it can help others.
So now I have to seal the seat under the nipple bolster. Hopefully via a fibre washer or small copper washer.
My quest for a reliable bottom barrel will succeed no thanks to anyone that could of!

If it is leaking thru the threads, you could seal the threads by applying some epoxy to them. That should fill in the clearances between the male and female threads.
Of course, this epoxy will harden and once it does, the only way to unscrew the screw would be to heat the barrel to somewhere around 320°F or hotter.

Indeed felt wad was correct.
I am so in debt for his help. Hang on, there was no help!
I have accidentally lost the sealed breach by damaging the screws seat where it seals under the nipple bolster. When that is done gas can still escape from the threads in the breach plug. Pictures later.
Why am I posting this so it can help others.
So now I have to seal the seat under the nipple bolster. Hopefully via a fibre washer or small copper washer.
My quest for a reliable bottom barrel will succeed no thanks to anyone that could of!
That's just a start of the problems carry on
Feltwad

So. The the screwed flash channel aka M10 long grub screw with a bull nosed end ( refer to the earlier photos). Is now shortened to accommodate some fibre washers.
20210322_180615.jpg

20210322_181114.jpg

Next was to seal the loose breach plug.
20210322_181557.jpg

To seal the thread of the M10 screw in the plug i have added a liquid thread sealant.
Next will be testing. That will involve adding paper between breach and stock to see if flash is still leaking.
Should the fibre washer leak I shall be sourcing thin copper washers.

My new belief in poor reliability of the bottom barrel was a leaking of pressure from the cap. This may of been the case before I intervened going off how loose the assembly was!
Soon I hope to get back to this kind of stuff.
20210321_173152.jpg

I have one of the newer models, I think, built by the company who built them for Beretta. My good friend has one he bought a few decades ago and swears by it for mourning dove. Mine seems to have thicker barrels and isn't quite as lively as his.

I've been playing with my original Belgian, but have thought of getting the o/u jug choked.

Maybe I should pattern it first.

I have one of the newer models, I think, built by the company who built them for Beretta. My good friend has one he bought a few decades ago and swears by it for mourning dove. Mine seems to have thicker barrels and isn't quite as lively as his.

I've been playing with my original Belgian, but have thought of getting the o/u jug choked.

Maybe I should pattern it first.
I'm glad you said that!
This one is definitely a little heavier than my first one a couple of decades ago.

The saga continues!
I added some paper to reveal any gas leak.
It is still leaking but not at the flash channel.
20210323_195634.jpg

I did get 100% ignition so sealing the part that screws into the nipple bolster works. Thread sealing compound did not set which is puzzling so I used some stronger stuff and that was setting in seconds! So more testing tomorrow.
As said today's ignition was much more positive even with course powder for a couple of shots.
20210323_190048.jpg

I would love to use plumbers tape but I know it will migrate where it should not be!

I know its of little interest but it may help someone.
Looks like I got the threads sealed and once more got 100%ignition. More testing will prove that mind but today there was no soot on the witness paper placed in the stock.

I doubt it was ever sealed properly from new!
So now I just cleaned the gun.
Just waiting now for the phone to ring " the pigeons are eating my barley"!

The gas seal is one of the main faults and if left will soon burn a hole through the bottom of the barrel channel , I have witnessed this on several of these guns
Feltwad

Just a wee update.
Extensive shooting has proven no leaks still which is pleasing.
There is though a first shot issue with the bottom barrel. Not always but occasionally. Yes it is annoying!

So to overcome it I have a new loading regime.
After cleaning the nipples are left loose. Especially the bottom barrels nipple.
Once charged, the nipple/s is removed and inspected for powder presence or additional powder added underneath the nipple.
This should get me off to a reliable start in the field!
To be honest I often do similar with percussion guns if I am setting off early mornings and may encounter a fox or other and need a sure fire from the get go.
The other option is opening the nipples some but I am trying to avoid that.

B.

Well I think this thread is getting back to what I said on page one and that was load with the hammer down . There were many ways tried unnecessary to solve the ignition in the bottom barrel .The nipple on these guns had a flash hole of 1/16 with the hammer down allowed the air to escape leaving the powder either in the nipple flash hole or at the base of the nipple ,if the hammer was at half cock then most of the powder was blown out of the nipple leaving a void. In most percussion guns mostly shotguns miss fire are the cause of loading with the hammer at half cock, most will disagree but the number of years I have shot and the large number of guns I have used in all bore sizes using the hammer down method resulted in misfires been a thing of the past .
Feltwad

Back