• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beretta!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the OP, how can you miss those European woodcock, they are so much bigger than ours here in the states. :p Now sometime I'd like to hear more about how they are hunted in your area, do they migrate? Around here they are hunted over pointing dogs. I have shot a few on the ground, but always with a camera.

Replacing the nipple with a 5/16 bsf musket nipple is not needed it is the method of loading which is the fault . Be it original or repro percussion to load with the hammer at half cock is the fault it leaves a void a percussion gun should be loaded with hammer down to eliminate a misfire , I very rare have a percussion misfire and I often fire a 100 shots in a session
Feltwad.

Not sure I understand how loading at half cock leaves a void. Could you explain?

I'm not sure if I can explain either. When the gun is at half cock, the hammer or cock is not directly covering and blocking the nipple cone. This leaves an airway path open and powder can settle all the way through the breech chamber to the flash channel. Now if one makes sure the spent cap is removed from the nipple recess and the cone, then the nose of the cock seldom fully seals the cone of the nipple and the cock certainly can't fall under any circumstances from half cock so air can be pushed out during the loading process.

A void could occur if the air passage is blocked and the loading components can't be rammed to the breech. Most of us have our rods marked so we would be able to see that the load was not fully seated.

I follow the practice to load with the cock in the full down position to eliminate any chance of the cock getting dislodged from the half cock position. This is especially true when loading a flint lock gun.

Back to the OP, how can you miss those European woodcock, they are so much bigger than ours here in the states. :p Now sometime I'd like to hear more about how they are hunted in your area, do they migrate? Around here they are hunted over pointing dogs. I have shot a few on the ground, but always with a camera.
Hi.
We do have some resident woodcock but most arrive from the east, from as far away as Russia.
I just walk woodlands where I know they sit tight during the day.
Never shot one sitting, doubt I could if I did even see one!

So! The dreaded bottom barrel mis fire syndrome associated with this model has become apparent!

And on closer inspection I'm not surprised at all.
There is an m10 stud that is threaded into the breach plug at such an angle to be pointing towards the right nipple.

The first flaw was the rounded bull nosed end of the stud partially blocked the flash channel of the nipple bolster. So that got relieved.
20210130_114543.jpg

Next I drilled and ported the powder channel that runs through the stud.
20210130_114439.jpg

The other issue was that the subtle index mark's on the breach plug and stud are causing a misalignment of the powder port and barrel.
20210130_114359.jpg

20210130_114740.jpg

When I started this I could not see any light from a bore light in the flash channel. Now I can.
Just got to test now. Hoping for some reliability, the issue has cost me a bird or two !

I am afraid you have caused another problem which you will find out
Feltwad

Feltwad, can you elaborate please? Your reply is somewhat cryptic sir and I am curious as to what you mean by causing another issue. I am curious about this model which is why I am asking. Thank you sir.

I have to think there are well made versions of this shotgun and then some left with issues. I have had 0 issues with mine, only miss fire was caused by a cap not going off. I can run a pipe cleaner into the barrel from the nipple easy.

I have to think there are well made versions of this shotgun and then some left with issues. I have had 0 issues with mine, only miss fire was caused by a cap not going off. I can run a pipe cleaner into the barrel from the nipple easy.
I will see how it goes now but I will if needs be do serious surgery to the plug or design my own!

I saw a guy at a rendezvous one time that had taken one of these and turned it into a sort of Howdah pistol he had cut the barrels just in front of the forward band and the stock kinda' like a mares leg. He also had a holster he had made for it.

I have come close to buying one of these shotguns several times. I just cant get pass the band that slips on the barrels/stock.

Fleener

Not much action on this thread must ask has it lost its appeal and died .Is it because it is a over and under and a shotgun ?
Feltwad

I'm very happy with my Beretta, got my load for turkey all set, just picked up 2 tins of caps, some wads, got powder.
My first black powder shotgun, I guess not really knowing what I'm doing helps.

Not much action on this thread must ask has it lost its appeal and died .Is it because it is a over and under and a shotgun ?
Feltwad

I've been wondering about that aspect. Did they even have o/u shotguns in the percussion era? I've seen pics of o/u rifle/shotgun combos and o/u rifles from the period, but not a gun where both barrels were matching shotgun barrels.

Latest posts

Back