• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beretta!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years ago I had a Beretta tri centennial and I really liked it but the barrel was so pited from lousy neglect I soon moved it on.
The owner had used pyrodex and simply used wd40 to clean it🤦‍♂️.

Today I was able to do a deal on an unifired safe queen! It fits perfectly but came without the accessories these were sold with.
I took it woodcock hunting this afternoon but suffered some miss fires. I forgot that it being new it may still have factory oil present and it did! I also had forgotten just how bad oil is for percussion guns it's been so long since using just hot water and no oils I had completely forgotten!
20210123_142954.jpg

The woodcock were few in the plot I hunted and yes they were flying....I ain't good enough to spot these on the ground for a sitting shot (🤭).
Only one shot in anger and I missed.
Just got get that oil gone!
Hopefully I can get a pheasant before February the 1st.

Nice to see another one, planning on spring turkey with mine.
Never had an issue with the lower barrel, keep it clean and run a alcohol pipe cleaner through before I go out.

Very nice Britsmoothy! Is she lively in your hands? How much do you suppose she weighs?

Good luck. You will have her sorted out shortly!

Best regards, Skychief.
Hello friend.

Hmm not weighed it but truthfully, it seems heavier than I remember.
Its certainly not a light gun.
Possibly 7plus lbs!
A little lazy coming up but once up and tracking keeps moving.
Always inline with the eye.
Need to pattern and do some testing.....

👍

Brit,What happened to Beaters Day( FEB 1) or don't you have an invite. I'll miss ours this year. I May be too old by next year. "VERY" OLD DOG..
Those BERETTA'S certainly were heavy and without a bit of work the Bottom tube was a bit of a S-D. OLD DOG..

Have a pair which I bought in the late 1980,s they had plenty of faults with a poor workmanship . which I still think they were made by some other firm and sold has berretta I stripped and customised them and fine turned the locks and reharden the main springs , have no trouble with them now can shoot a 100 shots in one session without a misfire . Sorry no images entered has they would be revered to has photos from a library
Feltwad

Brit,What happened to Beaters Day( FEB 1) or don't you have an invite. I'll miss ours this year. I May be too old by next year. "VERY" OLD DOG..
Those BERETTA'S certainly were heavy and without a bit of work the Bottom tube was a bit of a S-D. OLD DOG..
I stopped being involved with driven organised shoots years ago.
I saw my one old time gamekeeper friend retire and then a decade later another gamekeeper friend and I quite on his last day also. Not regretted it at all.

Most estates driven pheasant days do not allow the shooting of ground game and sitting birds the team captain will give you a red card and asked you too leave .
Feltwad

Have a pair which I bought in the late 1980,s they had plenty of faults with a poor workmanship . which I still think they were made by some other firm and sold has berretta I stripped and customised them and fine turned the locks and reharden the main springs , have no trouble with them now can shoot a 100 shots in one session without a misfire . Sorry no images entered has they would be revered to has photos from a library
Feltwad
They were made by Armi San Marco for Beretta. ASM also brought them out under their name after Berettas issue was sold out. I've owned several over the years. I found the workmanship to be acceptable and they handled well. First one I owned I swapped out the nipple for the lower barrel for a musket nipple that took care of the slow fire. Other ones I owned after the development of magnum caps for the unmentionables I just used them and no problems.

To be sure, that long flash channel on the left barrel has caused many a problem.

I've wondered about these guns since I first saw one. With both nipples on the same plane, the bottom barrel has to have a longer channel, so I wondered if there might be a discernable difference in ignition time or if it was so slight as to not matter. When you say "problem" do you mean slower ignition on the lower barrel or that the lower barrel sometimes doesn't ignite at all?

Replacing the nipple with a 5/16 bsf musket nipple is not needed it is the method of loading which is the fault . Be it original or repro percussion to load with the hammer at half cock is the fault it leaves a void a percussion gun should be loaded with hammer down to eliminate a misfire , I very rare have a percussion misfire and I often fire a 100 shots in a session
Feltwad.

Back