• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beretta O/U 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairtrigger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been told of an artical in a magazine describing modifications to the Beretta O/U to aid in more reliable ignition of the lower barrel.
Does someone have knowledge of this artical and be willing to share their wealth of knowledge??
THANKS!

I've tried this question before, but no one came forward with it. We might try to see if NMLRA has published an annual index for the 1980's for Muzzle Blasts. Supposedly this article appeared in there.

There is a previous thread on this subject...

I'd sure be interested as well. I have got to figure out what I'm doing wrong with mine.

rayb

Use the search function for beretta and find the postings. They explained how to modify the Bre. so the lower tube got a good flash.
Also, let us knnow whay you find out!

I have the answer you are looking for.

Basicly the through bolt with the flash hole, for the bottom barrel that comes with the gun is very soft, and rusts quickly, so you really don't want to modify it. Take it out and put it in the box for some other day.
Now dig in your bolt box for a #8(hardness) bolt with the right threads, and at least as much thread as the original plug, I belive it will be 10mm X 1.50 threads 1 1/8th inch long.
Drill a #16 hole starting from the threaded end 1 1/4" deep into the center of the bolt.
Chamfer the end of the bolt, and remove the first couple of threads to match the original plug. now screw the bolt into the breach plugs, until very snug, take a long steel rod (Ready rod) sharpened to a point, and drop it down the bottom barrel, you will feel it going into the breach plug face hole, now strike the rod, and move around a little, this will mark where to drill the flash hole, remove bolt, and drill flash hole into side, remove bottom breach plug and screw bolt into it so your hole matches up, now chamfer the hole to match the breach plug, remove bolt and replace the lower breach plug. cut the flash plug off the bolt, aprox 1 1/4" long, and cut a slot so you can use a flat screwdriver to install and remove the plug.
Last thing to do, is to screw the plug into the gun, and tap the open end of the plug with a #12 X 24 tap, aprox. 1/4" in from the bottom. (this will be your cleaning hole) coat the outside threads with pipe dope, and install the flash plug into the breach plugs, and install an allen head #12 X 24 x 1/4" plug into bottom. file bolt flush with lower breach plug, and you are done!!!
It takes some time, BUT it does work!!
Let me know if you need anymore info.
Scott

Thanks very much for your description. It has been hard to find out exaclty what needs to be done and your excellent directions will make it easy.

Thanks

rayb

You are welcome, I'm glad I could help.
They are really great guns once you get them to be reliable, I shot mine for years for skeet...lots of good times!!

Scott

Back