• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bents Old Fort

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found some more.

More pictures 2012 063.JPG

More pictures 2012 064.JPG

More pictures 2012 070.JPG

More pictures 2012 071.JPG

Here’s a square jaw trap at bents sure wouldn’t want it snapping shut on some fingers

Attachments

• B4A7C935-40FD-4D87-8568-544932341297.jpeg
    B4A7C935-40FD-4D87-8568-544932341297.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 66
  • AA6484D0-0456-4E19-BE10-2EF62EDF02C3.jpeg
    AA6484D0-0456-4E19-BE10-2EF62EDF02C3.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 70
Bent's Old Fort or Fort William on the Arkansas has special place in my heart. Rendezvoused there 30 odd years ago and taught two summers ago. Played in forge, ran lead round balls, cast St. Louis lead bars, showed how to use fur press to bale bison robes, made boudins, skinned beaver. Changed a lot in 30 years. National Park rules say no powder, lead or candles in the fort proper. We had to go to a state owned gun range some miles away to shoot our muzzle loaders but got to fire an original Hall percussion carbine several times. 2021 is the Bicentennial of the Santa Fe Trail. Lots of lectures and events in Colorado, New Mexico and Kansas. Live peacocks will keep you awake at night. Slept in room near well with lots of spiders but under or on top of buffalo robes. Definitely a must visit destination if you are in the area. New book by Dr. David Beyreis called Blood in the Borderlands excellent eye opener about Bent and St. Vrain empire and descendants from 1830's to 1920. Doin's near La Junta, Colorado about September 12-18th, same time as muzzle loading elk hunting season. Lecture series might run $75.00. Daily park pass required for admittance if not attending lectures. One of my jobs is teaching 4th graders about Colorado History and my specialty is the Bent-St. Vrain and mountain man and bison trading era.

i wish someone would make a mold for St. Louis lead bars!!!

I was there in ‘94(?). Parked in the lot and as we walked toward the fort, we were under attack by flies and other insects.

The man at the gate said something like “ C’mon in, they ain’t bad in here”.

He was right. As soon as we set foot inside the fort, I wasn’t bothered anymore.

Bent's Old Fort is an amazing place to spend the day! Especially if you hit it when there is a reenactment going on, well worth you time when ever you visit.

I spent about five days there a few years back at the Fur Symposium. Was great!
I'd do it all over again.

I spent about five days there a few years back at the Fur Symposium. Was great!
I'd do it all over again.
I'd always wanted to do that, but by the time I could make it happen on my end, they'd stopped because of Hantavirus. Which profession did you study? My goal was as a trader.

Back