Bents New Fort

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Plainsman53

32 Cal
Reaction score
I enjoyed it! Of course I'm more into Santa Fe Trail times than even the mountain man stories (and I like them). We drove up on a Sunday last summer and toured it. They didn't have many of their people there that day, mainly just summer help repairing plaster and walls getting ready for the big anniversary last fall. It was still very interesting to me. It is a big part of the history of the west. On the down side it's located in absolutely the hottest part of Colorado and there is a marsh pretty close so spray up for mosquitos. But being from central Texas you might not notice the heat.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Not everyone knows, but there were two Bents Forts…Old, and New. Bent moved it closer to the customers.

The “Old” fort is in La Junta where you went.

The “New” fort is in southern Colorado, basicly north of Santa Fe. That’s the location I was asking about.

Anyone been there?

Plainsman53

32 Cal
Reaction score
There must have been three then. You are right, I was at the old location. When he abandoned the old fort about 1949 he moved east and built another fort about 9 miles west of Lamar. I think all that is left there is a historical marker possibly on private land. I don't know anything about the one you speak of but if you have a link I'd be interested.