• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bent Handle Chisels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a 4 peice set of Bent Handle Chisels from Woodcraft. Actually called "paring" chisels. Not only will they serve well for my woodworking projects but also be good for cleaning up the three bottom barrel channel flats.

Been woodworking for more than 50 yrs have yet to own crooked handled chisels. Always looked awkward and difficult to control to me. I have reshape do old paint scrapers, files, kitchen knives ,wood chisel and other odd pieces of high carbon steel into special sisized and shaped scrapers to do the job. Let us know how the chisels work, maybe I have missed out on something all this time.
Dave

Been woodworking for more than 50 yrs have yet to own crooked handled chisels. Always looked awkward and difficult to control to me. I have reshape do old paint scrapers, files, kitchen knives ,wood chisel and other odd pieces of high carbon steel into special sisized and shaped scrapers to do the job. Let us know how the chisels work, maybe I have missed out on something all this time.
Dave
Like you, I have been a woodworker for at least the same amount of time. I had been eyeing these chisels for a long time. They are also referred to as "paring chisels". With the long blade and a handle up out of the way I can lay the chisel flat against my work such as the bottom three flats of the barrel channel. As a woodworker I build furniture and at times cannot lay the blade flat due to the handle being in the way e.g. paring off a protruding dowel or getting into those pesky corners. I recieved them yesterday and they look really nice.It was the thought of the bottom three barrel channel flats that finally prompted me to get them.

Pics before sharpening.

Attachments

• 20210122_120411.jpg
    20210122_120411.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210122_120516.jpg
    20210122_120516.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 114
Scratch building a rifle w/ pre inlet barrel , and r/r channel and hole drilled , The prime chisels I use is a 1/4" Str. wood chisel , 1/4 " and 3/8" w/bent shaft , and rounded blade. Occasionally use a 3/8" Str. chisel , as well. My Str. chisels are both "Box blade" chisels w/ the beveled side edges. Bought all these chisels at flea mkts. years , ago. Hope to use them until I fall over at my work bench. Keep 'em raiser sharp w/a hard stone and strop a swipe or two to break off the wire edge. ................oldwood

Scratch building a rifle w/ pre inlet barrel , and r/r channel and hole drilled , The prime chisels I use is a 1/4" Str. wood chisel , 1/4 " and 3/8" w/bent shaft , and rounded blade. Occasionally use a 3/8" Str. chisel , as well. My Str. chisels are both "Box blade" chisels w/ the beveled side edges. Bought all these chisels at flea mkts. years , ago. Hope to use them until I fall over at my work bench. Keep 'em raiser sharp w/a hard stone and strop a swipe or two to break off the wire edge. ................oldwood
Rounded blade huh? Now there's a good idea. I can see how that could be very useful! Thanks for the tip!

Guys , It amazes me nobody here uses a rounded tip straight chisel for inletting and initial lining cuts in carved designs. Had a friend , Dave Wagner (RIP) , working in the Gun Shop at Colonial Williamsburg , that put me on to this 1/2 moon shaped chisel . A rounded blade chisel can eliminate ugly "stabbing "cuts around curves by simply rocking the chisel forward in the line drawn on the wood. Apparently Wallace Gustler discovered some of these old antique chisels somewhere , and figured out how they were used . Dave passed the info to me back somewhere late 1970's. I use these half moon shaped chisels more per capita than all the rest . They can be ground as single bevels and double bevels from 1/16" up to 1/2" and larger , if needed. A picture is worth many words , but don't have a cell or camera phone , no service here ............oldwood

Hi Pooch,
Actually, it is a bit different. The dog leg bend allows deeper use and is much more useful in cleaning up the bottoms of tight lock mortices. It is also much better when trying to clean up the flats in a barrel channel if the barrel is tapered or swamped. The long flat blade of the bent chisels will not work well on those because the long flat blade will ride over the curves in the wood.
Oldwood, I've been using bull nosed inletting chisels for stabbing in carving for ages. Not only are the ends slightly rounded but the cross section is slightly foot ball shaped. That allows stabbing in smooth and tight curves.
dave

Very good Dave. Sometimes I think I'm the only one possessing some ideas , and that disturbs me. Most of the guys I used to circulate with are gone. That's the beauty of the Forum . I try to pass an occasional pearl of wisdom along . I'm entirely "self taught" except for guys like Lew Sanchez , Dick Getz , Kit Ravenshear , and a host of others ready to show a young guy how to do some m/l gun art.........oldwood

Hi Pooch,
Actually, it is a bit different. The dog leg bend allows deeper use and is much more useful in cleaning up the bottoms of tight lock mortices. It is also much better when trying to clean up the flats in a barrel channel if the barrel is tapered or swamped. The long flat blade of the bent chisels will not work well on those because the long flat blade will ride over the curves in the wood.
Oldwood, I've been using bull nosed inletting chisels for stabbing in carving for ages. Not only are the ends slightly rounded but the cross section is slightly foot ball shaped. That allows stabbing in smooth and tight curves.
dave
Dave,
I appreciate and respect everything you said. And you are correct concerning a swamped barrel. I have only worked on straight barrel channels . . . so far.
I try to buy tools that will serve multiple purposes in the shop. The bent handle chisels will do just that. Many times a chisel blade must be laid flat to accomplish the task at hand. Sort of like a bullnosed plane. Whether it be a barrel channel, a dado, trimming protruding dowels or getting into those pesky corners. I have eyed offset or "cranked" chisels like the one you show. Yes, they are on my watch list. I do appreciate your feedback. I'm 68 yrs. old and everyday I look forward to learning new things. It's fun! Thanks again!

Hi Oldwood,
Kit Ravenshear and Billy Kennedy were two of my primary influences back in the early 1980s so I go back a ways too. I suffered severe bouts of frostbite in my hands during my mountain rescue days and the nerves are damaged in all my finger tips. I cannot control a full length chisel very well when stabbing in intricate carving because my hands struggle to position the tips on the wood. I can do it but I fumble a lot and am not very efficient. Consequently, I use small palm and micro chisels that I can huddle over to outline the work. That is where the chisel tips you and I described are critical. I can place the edge of the tool in the end of the last cut and then just rock it forward to continue the line or curve. I almost don't have to lift it out of the wood. I can outline a carving very quickly and efficiently that way. I struggle with dropping and fumbling little parts. I once was trying to screw in a small screw in a lock plate and was getting frustrated because it would not catch the threads. It took me a moment to realize I didn't have the screw pinched between my fingers anymore. Can't feel anything. Such is life.

dave

Dave........I admire you for moving ahead with your disability. Don't know what I would have done w/o m/l rifle building. Guess I can say my rifle production peaked about 10 years ago. The last two of what my huntin' buddy Fred would have been called "fine rifles " were copies of the Beck Lion and Lamb rifle , and a copy of Edward Marshal Indian Walk rifle. At this point , I'm either building a rifle or two for me , and taking a couple orders locally for deer rifles in Pa.. I love to go to the shooting range , and with luck , the invention of the Peep sight has allowed me to continue to shoot iron sights. Hey , ...I'm off in the weeds , as usual. Luck and blessings to you........oldwood

Back