• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bending Brass Triggergaurd

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Benedict

.50 caliber
Reaction score
Need some advice on proper forming or bending of a triggergaurd to fit profile of pistol stock. Should heat be used? And is there a proper order to prevent breaking . Any advice would be helpful.

Guards that look like brass may be yellow brass or a harder alloy. If a harder alloy, all hope is lost. If yellow brass then if not soft right now, hit it with a propane torch till full red in dim, dim light. Lapse to cool or throw in a bucket of water- same result. Brass must be bent cold. Repeat the above annealing process if it starts to feel springy.

i asked the same question a couple years ago. the consensus was heat it to red then cool it, bend it a bit then repeat and keep repeating the process
BUT
i got so lucky i bent it a bit by hand and the brass was real malleable and i just kept bending until it fit the stock.
here is a picture of how far i bent it.
Now i am NOT saying to try this as it could break very easily
1606268911324.png

I'm not trying to hi-jack, but I'm curious how bending a steel trigger guard (presumably a cast guard) would differ from bending a brass one.

All I know is it is Track of the wolf’s pistol Gard. Sounds like I’ll heat it and hope for the best. Thanks for all advice. I must have got lucky , because the long rifle I built from TOTW 5 years ago, the brass triggergaurd fit perfectly without bending.

Hi,
The difference between steel and brass is that brass is annealed by heating to red and quenching in water. Steel is hardened by heating to red and quenching in water or oil. The other difference is if you bend the brass guard while red hot it may crumble into pieces. However, it is fine to bend steel when red hot to get the shape you need. The key to the OP's question is to make sure the guard extension is annealed before bending regardless of metal.

dave

I'm not trying to hi-jack, but I'm curious how bending a steel trigger guard (presumably a cast guard) would differ from bending a brass one.
The steel castings I have used seem kind of springy as they come and can be bent cold, a little before cracking, but applying heat is better. I try to fashion 'iron' mounts from mild steel when I can, the castings seem to be hit or miss in the recycled steel they seem to use.
Robby

Latest posts

Back