• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bending brass butt plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning. I hope this is the right for this post, which perhaps could be titled “A Fool’s Errand”...

I have an old flintlock with identical lines to all other Jukars and CVA’s. I’m intending on changing the drop from 3 1/2” to around 4 1/4” (ish), a la old Tennessee poor boy. This will involve removing wood from the top of the butt and adding a corresponding strip to the bottom. The existing angle of the butt plate to the return is right about 90 degrees - i’ll need to open this to around 100, give or take. I know i can just buy a new plate with the correct angl but i’d like to use the original parts.

So, how would one make this happen without cracking it?

Thanks for your all’s thoughts!

don

To bend brass it has to be annealed by heating to a red or pink glow and immediately quench in water. When you bend the brass it will work harden, so you may have to repeat the process if you need to bend it a lot.

Thought about that too, but if i let the return dictate, that will push the lower tip of the butt plate too far forward.

My best option may yet be to cut off the return and just reinstall the bp where it needs to be. Not sure how funny that might look, with no return.

Another option is to cut off the return, grind it off to the new angle and braze it back onto the backside of the butt plate.

If not too much bother, make a duplicate of your new stock profile. Roughly cut but proper where it counts at the bend. Then anneal your plate and press the duplicate into the brass with a shop press. You may need a clamp on outside to keep the return from bending away. You should be able to avoid the work hardening this way.

Back