• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bench Gun/Slug Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need a little help and some advice from you folks.
I have a bench gun that I have never fired myself and hasn't been shot in probably 60 years. I've decided I'm going to fire it up before I get too old to pick it up.
It's .50 caliber. Has a 35.5” Bill Large/J. R. Runyon barrel with a false muzzle dated 1952 and is 1.5” across the flats. J. Rigby percussion side lock. Full walnut stock with a rest pad near the muzzle. And it weighs 23 pounds.
I need source for a mold made for a paper patched slug and I need a source for onion skin paper for the patch.

Can any of you help me out?

Thank you.

I need a little help and some advice from you folks.
I have a bench gun that I have never fired myself and hasn't been shot in probably 60 years. I've decided I'm going to fire it up before I get too old to pick it up.
It's .50 caliber. Has a 35.5” Bill Large/J. R. Runyon barrel with a false muzzle dated 1952 and is 1.5” across the flats. J. Rigby percussion side lock. Full walnut stock with a rest pad near the muzzle. And it weighs 23 pounds.
I need source for a mold made for a paper patched slug and I need a source for onion skin paper for the patch.

Can any of you help me out?

Thank you.
Buffal arms

Bench rest rifle and slug guns are two different animules. Bench rifles must use a patched round ball. Slug guns allow just that, slugs or bullets. Normally these are not patched, some shooters use a paper patching on them. The sport is very exacting anc competitive. The slug you end up with needs to be perzactly the right length and weight to perform best in your rifle. You have a lot of work ahead dialing that muzzle gun into being a winner.

Thank you, both! Paulab, I've used Buffalo Arms for years, why I didn't put them together with the gun I do not know. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Rifleman1776, I did not know the difference between bench rest rifle and slug gun shooting. Thanks. I've got the load data that was used for shooting round ball. Also have the mould. I remember the gun was also shot with a slug and a paper X patch. I even have about 5 oz. of sperm oil that was used to lube the paper patch. The mould for the slug disappeared a long time ago.

I have enough info to smoke up the 200 yd range for now. Thank you again for the help!

If you are not too far from Canal Fulton OH there are folks there who can help you with your rifle. Otherwise a trip to Friendship IN is in order. The folks who know of these things and can make proper tools and molds are fewer every year.

Back