• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Belt carry Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are chomping tools and fighting tools. Some cross over, most don’t.

Earlier when travel was more likely on foot the small axe was carried by those of the group that didn’t have the skill to fight with a hawk. Those who did carried one better suited for that use.

When horse travel became most common I am of the opinion an axe was carried for chopping and hawk was more of a weapon and less of a tool.

Here’s mine, it’s a Beaver Bill…👍👍
It’s on its 3 rd handle, but it’s been thrown some now..
Pic was in 2014

I’ve done some chopping with it, but it’s mostly to split kindling & for throwing...👍

View attachment 148938

Same hawk and cover 8 years later….

9AD8D034-F51A-41AC-B06B-C4250177F5A2.jpeg

The split handle is the reason you want too always throw the knife first!

Or go pull the hawk before throwing your knife… We live & learn from our mistakes …🥴

Roper man, you need to rig that saddle up with a nice leather sheath for that hawk. Then slip that rifle into the scabbard, through the pouch over your shoulder, wrap a good wool blanket into the canvas bedroll, fill them saddle bags with jerky and head out on a early fall hunt!!
Oh, that would be a journal I would read.
Walk

Be safe with a tomahakin.........One morning in the dark , my son had his hawk just put through the back of his belt. A couple of us were riding in the back of a pickup truck bed on the way to where we hunt. My unknowing son sat down next to me , with his unprotected ax blade and almost cut one of my fingers off. Was near to the bone , but I had a clean handkerchief to bind the finger , and I hunted the day . Though painful , I got through the day. We got home , and son was presented with a blade protector for his hawk. ..............oldwood

I was just going here to recommend a heavy leather sheath or blade cover if you are going to carry it on your belt. I have a small scar on my side from my hawk when I was shot and killed at Ft. Frederick many moons ago, fell on it.

Back