• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Belt carry Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roper, I have 1 that is Indentical, mine has a J stamped into it, only marking.I've carried that hawk for over 35 yrs. in the truck and and on the trapline, cut stakes, drove stakes,pulled em,trimmed branches for sets chopped ice, you name it. takes an edge. order an extra handle, I haven't used my spare yet , but it can't last forever.I know I paid about that much for mine...........BE SAFE ,,,,,Wally

Those are probably India made cast steel. I have a couple and at arms length don't look any different than a forged H&B. That said, many folks prefer and American hand forged 'hawk. You might do a search for the Fort Meigs style pack hawk. I really like mine and have gotten good use from it at ronny camp.

Here’s mine, it’s a Beaver Bill…👍👍
It’s on its 3 rd handle, but it’s been thrown some now..
Pic was in 2014

I’ve done some chopping with it, but it’s mostly to split kindling & for throwing...👍

C3E0539F-D67E-4083-9FFA-84EAF5C33781.jpeg

Historically by 1770s ish, the Swedish or Kentucky style as seen in the So called fort Miggs belt axe became more common among white Americans, this is essentially a modern hatchet shape.
This isn’t to say hawk styles were not used by whites, but increasingly hawks went out of style.
I use a British light infantry axe. A hawk style with hammer head. Seen by Fand I times, used past the war of 1812.
I don’t throw much any more, but this style can be thrown, where as the hatchet style is not a good thrower.
As hawks went out of style fighting knives became the hand to hand defense.

I am looking at some tomahawks, something simple and easy to pack on my belt. This one looks ok, anybody use one of these or something similar? Think I'd want to oil or age that handle though.

https://www.crazycrow.com/hand-forged-throwing-hawks/early-fur-trade-tomahawk
They are a good buy for the price. Nothing special but a good deal overall. My son had one. Seemed to be rugged and good at least for general use. If you intend to do a lot of chopping, I would suggest an up-grade, but it should get you by OK.

No matter what we do it won't be PC because those type hawks were usually just tucked under a belt without any protective cover over the edge. The "sheaths" used in the day were more often for small hatchets, so.......if all you want is a camp tool, maybe re-think things and go with a small hatchet. Doubles as a hammer or tent peg driver, etc. These hatchets have shorter handles and are easier to carry. I have mine IN BACK of the hunting pouch, the handle only hangs down 8" beyond the bottom- hardly know it is there.

You can buy a cheap hatchet for $5-$10 and use a hacksaw to make it look like one of the period types. Replace the handle with straight wood.

Back