• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Belt Bags?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many yrs ago when I first got started in reenacting I used a belt bag all the time. I don't have pic of it handy right now, but it was plain buckskin with fringe on bottom and top. What I liked about it was I could carry extra items and didn't have to worry about anything falling out, it was quite secure. I have since gone to Rev. War 84th RHE and don't use it. I have since moved to new area where the local group are French Voyagers so I will most likely start using it again if it passes muster. Just my two cents/for what it's worth. Good question though!

From 1720 up to the AWI they were pretty popular. Here are some in artwork....

1740 Note the man in the background also has a belt bag

Belt Bags 1.JPG

Belt Bags 2 1752.JPG

1775 Note that the man in the lower, right side of the image has more than one belt bag, and a hunting knife in this image taken from a painting called "quail hunting", as well as a bag on a strap, which I think is the game bag, not the shooting bag.

Belt Bags 3 1775.JPG

Another 1775 image of a fellow with a shotgun, that supports the idea that the shotgunning fellows are using several belt bags and a game bag OR a single belt bag with several obvious compartments, plus a game bag...

I wonder if they are loading a powder cartridge, then a fiber wad from the next pouch, followed by a shot cartridge from the third pouch ??? This piece is titled "loading the shotgun". I think he's using a rammer, and not trying to pour shot or powder into the shotgun barrel from a foot away from the muzzle......

Belt Bags 4 1775.JPG

LD

Great information. I'm fiddling with making a belt bag that is worn on the everyday belt. More like an abbreviated shooting bag. So far not looking anything like the illustrations though. :)

Many yrs ago when I first got started in reenacting I used a belt bag all the time. I don't have pic of it handy right now, but it was plain buckskin with fringe on bottom and top. What I liked about it was I could carry extra items and didn't have to worry about anything falling out, it was quite secure. I have since gone to Rev. War 84th RHE and don't use it. I have since moved to new area where the local group are French Voyagers so I will most likely start using it again if it passes muster. Just my two cents/for what it's worth. Good question though!

Eventually you will need one of those gigantic canoes! :)

My belt bag didn't look like those posted above either. It is longer than it is wide, rectangular shaped, but fits nicely under belt with upper part of bag hanging over. You cinch you belt as tight as you want/ need and is very secure.

20201031_134358.jpg

Belt bag, brass patch holder, two tins, one tools, one flints. Rev War pan charger. Have not seen one for sale in 40 years or so. Pickering tool.

Latest posts

Back