• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belgium made percussion pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the 60's and 70's Belgium produced reproduction 1860 Army and 1851 Navy pistols, sometimes under the distributor name Centaur. Those of you who remember those pistols and have handled both, which reproductions do you think are of better quality- those 60's and 70's Belgium made or the Italian reproductions.

Attachments

• pix124811711.jpg
    pix124811711.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 171
  • pix708162730.jpg
    pix708162730.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
In my limited experience of 4 examples of the Centaure revolvers vs 10 or more Uberti Colts, I would take the Uberti nine times out of ten. one of the Centaure guns, although beautiful and near mint in the box, was badly timed and had a cylinder gap near .020”... I don’t believe I ever shot it. parts aren’t readily available and in my experience the fit and finish were not as good as Ubertis I’ve owned. If you’re collecting, they do seem to hold value as a novelty.

That’s kind of what I thought. You see them appear from time to time but I don’t think there’s any sustained interest. Also the machining and finish appear crude by comparison. The Italians have become better and better in their production.

They were originally spoken of in hushed tones... ”made on the original Colt equipment“ “made under license from Colt” etc. I did have one that was well timed, finished well and a good shooter. I wouldn’t mind having it back again. Otherwise, I’d take my Uberti’s...

I think some may be comparing apples to oranges.

Since ~2002, both Uberti and Pietta have been producing revolvers using CNC machining. There is a video about the Pietta factory operations these days vs. the pre-CNC days, wherein A. Pietta explains that Pietta used to use subcontractors form Northern Italy, and those parts needed fitting at the Pietta factory before Pietta could offer the guns for sale. I will post it if wanted.

The Belgian Centaure revolvers were made in the early 60's without the then-unheard-of idea of computer controlled CNC machining. I think they were most likely on a par with Gregorelli & Uberti, Uberti, Armi San Marco, Armi San Paolo, C.O.M. (a N. Italian consortium in Brescia), A. Mainardi, DGG, et al.

These are a couple of Centennial Arms (importers of Centaure in Chicago) advertisements from a 1962 Guns Magazine issue.

These may bring back some memories for old farts like me.

Regards,

Jim

Here are some "before" and "after" pictures of my Centauer revolver. I had never heard of them until after I bought mine about 5 years ago, CHEAP, from a guy who found it in his attic. It belonged to his uncle, who took a job in Alaska. Before he left, the uncle oiled the gun, wrapped it in a cloth rag, and then put it in the attic for safe keeping until he returned. He forgot about it, and years later he died. A few years ago, it was found in the attic, covered in rust. I bought the gun sight unseen from the description, knowing it was badly rusted and only good for an interesting wallhanger.

After I got it, I soaked it in penetrating oil for a day, and when I cleaned the bore and chambers I was stunned to learn they were in perfect condition, and there was no evidence that the gun had ever been fired, or even dry fired.

From the serial number, mine was made in 1967.

This is a very high quality gun, and every bit the gun of my Second Generation Colt 1860, and is my favorite to shoot.

Before...
100_5490.JPG

100_5491.JPG

I did not make any attempt to restore it, just clean it up and use it. After...
100_6187.JPG

100_6188.JPG

Later on I made this holster for it...
100_6004.JPG

100_6002.JPG

100_6007.JPG

100_6009.JPG

Last edited:
Bought a basket case Centennial 1860. Cylinder pin was ruined. No spares available, made one starting with a die maker's bolt. That is when I discovered that the threads in the receiver were Imperial. Don't know about the rest of the screws.
Looks good, excellent shooter.

I think some may be comparing apples to oranges.

Since ~2002, both Uberti and Pietta have been producing revolvers using CNC machining. There is a video about the Pietta factory operations these days vs. the pre-CNC days, wherein A. Pietta explains that Pietta used to use subcontractors form Northern Italy, and those parts needed fitting at the Pietta factory before Pietta could offer the guns for sale. I will post it if wanted.

The Belgian Centaure revolvers were made in the early 60's without the then-unheard-of idea of computer controlled CNC machining. I think they were most likely on a par with Gregorelli & Uberti, Uberti, Armi San Marco, Armi San Paolo, C.O.M. (a N. Italian consortium in Brescia), A. Mainardi, DGG, et al.

These are a couple of Centennial Arms (importers of Centaure in Chicago) advertisements from a 1962 Guns Magazine issue.

These may bring back some memories for old farts like me.

Regards,

Jim
GOD! I rely like seeing these old CENTENNIAL ADDS. where did you ever no where to look for them and find them? they are rely great and make your eyes run PEPPERMENT! now those were rely the good old days!

it was already antiqued when you got it! it would have cost you to have some one like the LOGCABIN SHOPPE , do the antiquing of it roe you. a rely great out come. thanks for sharing.

GOD! I really like seeing these old CENTENNIAL ADS. Where did you ever know where to look for them and find them? They are really great! Now those were really the good old days!

I have a good friend on another BP forum who has a very extensive collection of old gun magazines from the 60'-70's (G&A, Guns, Gun World, Shooting Times, et al). When I am looking for information from that era, I will let him know what I would like and he is very gracious sending me scanned pages. I do not ask often so as not to wear out my welcome!

Glad you enjoyed them!

Regards,

Jim

I have a good friend on another BP forum who has a very extensive collection of old gun magazines from the 60'-70's (G&A, Guns, Gun World, Shooting Times, et al). When I am looking for information from that era, I will let him know what I would like and he is very gracious sending me scanned pages. I do not ask often so as not to wear out my welcome!

Glad you enjoyed them!

Regards,

Jim
I really like the old adverts for bannermans etc... imagine sending a check to New York and in a few weeks receiving a 1917 S&W or Colt 1911 in the mail? Freedom.

The Centaures have quite a following in the UK and Germany and as said they were all hand finished.
IMG_1389.jpg

This is the first one i bought and is fitted with an Ormsby cylinder. Only 50 of these pistols were imported into the UK by a J.Roberts who had a gun shop in London. After seeing them for sale in the US, he bought the 50 and sold them here.

IMG_1465.JPG

I then got these two, the top one being a rare civilian model with a silver plated backstrap and trigger guard in its box with the original flyer. Only 500 civilians were made, with only about 24 still known on the Centaure register. Some spares are available, new hands and screws and the website as previously mentioned 1960NMA.org has good info on how to fettle Uberti and Pietta parts to fit.
IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

The artwork on the rear of the original leaflet was drawn by John Coletta, (cousin of J.Roberts), who was involved in putting together the bands Deep Purple and Whitesnake.
None of these leaflets remain bar mine (so far) and i was able to send a copy of it to Mr.Roberts after tracking him down to find the history of how these pistols came to be in the UK as he himself did not have a copy.
The two armies are notched for a shoulder stock but the civilian is not.
IMG_E2395.JPG

They are all good shooters!

Back