• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Belgian .71 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. S. Morris

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am repurposing my collection to a different subject so am letting some go to make room for the new ones.

This is a .71 Caliber Belgian Model 1816 updated to a Model 1822 dated 1838. It started out flintlock and was upgraded to percussion in the late 1840's to early 1850's and then rifled. This model is the example shown in Boker's sample 17 of weapons exported from Europe for the U.S. Civil War. Both sides used these in the Civil War. I can't say whether this was Confederate or not, but the "X" carved into the left flat is the version of the X used by Confederate Soldiers to mark the Confederate flag.
Will take $995.00 plus shipping. Plan on $50 to $100.00 for shipping using UPS ground(usually 2 to 3 day) delivery depending on your location. Will provide a receipt to show I am not makiing any money on shipping.

Will also trade for a Fenian Brotherhood stamped M1861 / 1863 or suitable Needham Conversion

Here is a video describing the musket and shows a video of the bore

Some pics:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.20.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.20.08 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221010_151002.jpg
    20221010_151002.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221010_152220.jpg
    20221010_152220.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.15.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.15.20 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.19.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.19.42 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221010_150930.jpg
    20221010_150930.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221010_151008.jpg
    20221010_151008.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.16.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 3.16.33 PM.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you are selling a Potsdam you should provide photos and a card with the date and your name on it on one photo. The most important photos, in my opinion, would be of the rear sight and the sling swivels as these are missing on the majority of the Potsdams I've seen including mine. A photo of the bore would be essential too as I have never seen or heard of any being anything but smoothbores.

Last edited:
If you are selling a Potsdam you should provide photos and a card with the date and your name on it on one photo. The most important photos, in my opinion, would be of the rear sight and the sling swivels as these are missing on the majority of the Potsdams I've seen including mine. A photo of the bore would be essential too as I have never seen or heard of any being anything but smoothbores.
It is my understanding a Potsdam is German or Prussian. This is Belgium. The video has all the pics including very detailed shots of all the markings.There is no rear sight. The sling swivels are present. I will be happy to post pics if watching the video is inconvenient. Will be early this afternoon before I can post them. The video has a short borescope of the bore.

Last edited:
I just watched the video now and I had initially only looked at the "cover picture" on the vid. It is quite similar to the Potsdam and that's what I took it for, my mistake. That's an interesting piece, good luck.

I just watched the video now and I had initially only looked at the "cover picture" on the vid. It is quite similar to the Potsdam and that's what I took it for, my mistake. That's an interesting piece, good luck.
It's all good, thanks for looking.

You're selling a high dollar item, of course pics are needed, along with a piece of paper with your user name in it, next to the item you are selling.
Out of curiosity is the piece of paper with my user name on it a forum requirement? I put all the pics in the video which describe the musket in very great detail. I have already said I would add pics in addition to the video. In the musket world, this is not a high dollar item.

Out of curiosity is the piece of paper with my user name on it a forum requirement? I put all the pics in the video which describe the musket in very great detail. I have already said I would add pics in addition to the video. In the musket world, this is not a high dollar item.
Yes it is part of the classified ads rules.

I cannot see where that the flint lock holes / frizzen, pan, etc. were p[uged in / on the lock plate?

I cannot see where that the flint lock holes / frizzen, pan, etc. were p[uged in / on the lock plate?
Ok, I didn't build it. We will have to ask the Belgians. :) it was made in 1838 so it had to be originally flintlock. Maybe the Belgians changed the lock plate when they converted them, I have no idea,

Last edited:
thanks' for the reply. I understand, I just wondered?. I will ask the BELGIANS. lol.

R.S. Morris, they said that the lock was changed, to a percussion lock and altered at the factory. now you know the rest of the story. lol. have a great day.

R.S. Morris, they said that the lock was changed, to a percussion lock and altered at the factory. now you know the rest of the story. lol. have a great day.
Awesome,...... learn something new everyday.... :cool: maybe next they can tell you if it fought for the north or south. Hey, you never know.

There is one photo that shows a part of the lock. If you blow it up you can see (directly under the bolster) where a filler was put in place of the pan. The plugged holes for the frizzen pivot screw and spring might show if we could see the rest of the lock.

What a neat piece of history!! I thoroughly loved the tutorial thanks for shari g and you have a new follower look forward to more videos 8)

What a neat piece of history!! I thoroughly loved the tutorial thanks for shari g and you have a new follower look forward to more videos 8)
Thanks, it has history from being in Europe for a little over 10 years then being exported here for the Civil War. If it could only talk.

Latest posts

Back