• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beeswax and Olive Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of fire, if you put crisco in a can, jar or cup and add a wick it makes a great candle that will last for days
that would be a stinky smoky mess. just started making beeswax candles. smell great and no smoke :) :)

I used Crisco back in the dark ages (my hair was dark). It was too soft and runny in Missouri summers and too stiff in the winter. While it does work if you can put up with the mess, the mixes using bee's wax make for a better lube.
don,t you just love, it was soft in the summer & and too stiff in the winter?

Hey, go for the good stuff.

Premixed, convenient packaging, slick as it gets and scented to prevent deer from being able to detect human odor.

OK, OK, only kidding. I tried it out as an adjunct in beeswax based bullet lubes and it actually has worked well in some applications including percussion revolvers. Despite the all pervasive scent. 😜

So try out whatever you have 'cause it might just work. I've still got the better part of a gallon bucket of industrial lanolin in the lube making supplies so I tend to include some when building a batch. Shopping around now for some affordable raw beeswax in Indiana.
is that like JERRY CURL, or DIXIE PEACH, for your DOO?? it Shure makes a mess on toe pillow case, iffen you don't use your DOO RAG at night.

now just who would have ever thought of that?
Ever notice the "I" in Crisco has a flame over it???
people have been making candles from Crisco for years, and no they dont smell or smoke. however, they must be made in a jar or can.

I make my patch/bullet/metal/wood/leather/lip lube from a 45/45/10 mix of beeswax, light olive oil,, and lanolin.
Stiff enough to not run out of the grease hole in the stock of my Tennessee mountain rifle.
Soft enough to apply to patches/boolits/leather/lips/barrels/chamber mouths/knees/elbows/etc.
I've always melted mine in the microwave. I put all the ingredients into the bowl and nuke them.
I keep an eye on them while I nuke them. Once they melt, I stir them.
I then pour them and put them into the freezer for quick solidification.
I use the empty garlic dipping sauce containers from Papa John's pizza.
Very convenient mold and it's easy to apply to patches from it.
I also have taken a couple of empty stick deodorant containers, cleaned them, and poured them full of my home made patch lube.
Talk about easy to apply to patches. Not HC/PC, but I'm not a cork-sniffer, nor am I a reenactor.
I'm just a guy who likes shooting traditional muzzleloaders.

I know wax is not required for a patch lube.
It keeps it from running out of the grease hole, and makes it a multipurpose compound.

I have a jar of Crisco for use as a BP lube.
I've noticed the way it cracks after it sits a while.
I think it could use some lanolin added to it, to help it maintain a good consistency.
Maybe some beeswax and olive oil, too. I'll need to experiment.

Hmm, Crisco candles? I may have to experiment with that.
I wonder if it would work with a Betty lamp?
A fuel source that doesn't spill when not in use would be handy.

I am going to check on my wife's can for the candle flame, dam have I been blind all of 76+++yrs?

The biggest thing to remember is that both oil and wax are flammable, you do not want either to reach its smoke point when heating or you could have one hell of a fire on your hands.
I melt my lube outside for safety and mess control just in case. Don't use one of your good cooking pans.
Wait until wife is away and do outside.

I used Crisco back in the dark ages (my hair was dark). It was too soft and runny in Missouri summers and too stiff in the winter. While it does work if you can put up with the mess, the mixes using bee's wax make for a better lube.
that is why your hair was BLACK, the CRISCO was to blame!! start using it again, WHO KNOWS? THE SHADOW KNOWS!

Actually my hair was dark red, but that's not really relevant. I did use Crisco as a lubricant over the ball in my cap and ball revolver a long time ago. I enjoyed shooting the revolver, but the Crisco splatter was very messy.

Actually my hair was dark red, but that's not really relevant. I did use Crisco as a lubricant over the ball in my cap and ball revolver a long time ago. I enjoyed shooting the revolver, but the Crisco splatter was very messy.
DARK, is thought to be black. if you said back when it was red well? doesn't in the end, hair most always turns to snow colored. LOL!!

Latest posts

Back